ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1869 09/02/01 01:35 PM
B
Originally posted by Redsy:
Does anyone (besides me) install 150 Amp services? On a small home with gas appliances and a 60 Amp service, which needs an upgrade for central air, the load calculations still fall shy of even the minimum 100 amp mandated by code. I won't install only 100, but 200 seems excessive for such small homes. Some people feel that the materials dont cost much more for 200 than 150, so install 200. Others feel differently. Anyone?

I agree, I install 150 amps all the time, its a nice compromise between the two,ie 100 and 200,and the cost is somewhat less than the 200 amp.

#1870 09/02/01 07:57 PM
S
I would only add that few prospective home owners pursue a demand load calculation to this end. If Lucy & Ricky gotta 200, then Fred & Ethel are already sold on it.
[Linked Image]

#1871 09/02/01 08:54 PM
B
Originally posted by resqcapt19:
[b]<I say that if you drive two rods 6' apart outside and bond to them, you don't have to
count the water main as an electrode requiring #4 copper. Indoor plumbing must be bonded, e.g., metal pipes, tanks, control boxes, and pumps.>

DS
Ground rods are considered supplemental, because of the fact that we are losing our waterline. In my area all new installations of water service is plastic and interior water piping systems have to be bonded. Also if there is a well on the premises,I live in a very rural area and there are plenty of wells, we drive two ground rods and bond to any interior water lines and jumper any that have plastic pipe inserted between them. In the county just south of me, they are required to bond to the well head and drive two ground rods. Everything is local I guess.
The interior metal water piping system must be bonded with a conductor sized per Table 250-66. See 250-104(a)(1)
Don[/B]

#1872 09/03/01 12:58 PM
B
Originally posted by resqcapt19:
DS
I simply assume that I need two ground rods for my primary (permanent) electrode system.
Even if you use the water pipe 2 ground rods are requires unless you can prove that a single rod complies with the 25 ohm rule in 250-56

I don't count it as a primary electrode for a number of reasons.
At this time the code does. There are a number of reasons not to use the metal underground water piping system as a grounding electrode, but CMP5 has not yet agreed with those reasons.

The comments by Mr.Schiff about not using the metal underground piping as an electrode to improve safety of water department workers are not correct. If we stopped using it as the grounding electrode, but still bonded it to the grounding system inside the building the same safety problem will exist. The only way to improve safety for the water department workers would be to use a dielectric fitting in the water service to isolate the interior and exterior parts of the metal piping system. This is often done by gas utilities that are still using metal pipe for exterior gas supply lines.
Don(resqcapt19)

That argument by water departments IMO is unfounded, here is why, the main purpose of the grounding electode system is to shunt to ground strikes by lightning, line surges via a suspect line transformer, that 25 ohms to ground is not going to trip a breaker or blow a fuse, that said, by bonding the interior water system to the neutral bar in the service will trip a breaker if it comes in contact with a hot conductor. Lestwise thats how usin's in Ohio do it.

#1873 09/04/01 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
bordew,

I'm wondering whether you've noticed how poorly your posts are presented. It's difficult to tell what you wrote and to what you are responding.

I started off using the default quoting when I first joined. But it was too cumbersome. So I adopted usenet style quoting (> ).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard