ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 539 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Mikesh, I suppose it comes down to two things: vocabulary, and design.

First, it is important to distinguish between "smoke detectors" and "fire alarm systems." The common household units, that have the sensor as well as the horn contained within, and where each unit has its' own battery back-up, is a "smoke detector."

The fancy systems that wire back to a little red panel, and are usually coupled with burglary alarms and monitored by an alarm company, are 'fire alarm systems.'

The distinction is critical, as our alarm code prohibits a fire alarm system from being GFCI or AFCI protected, and they are required to have a dedicated circuit.

Smoke alarms, by contrast, can be powered by any circuit - at least, in theory. However, these 'smokes' are required to all sound when one goes into alarm. In practice, this is accomplished by placing them on a dedicated circuit, and running an additional wire between the units so they can communicate.

Since we are required to have 'smokes' in every bedroom, and bedrooms were the first place AFCI's were required ... the 'smoke' circuit also was AFCI protected.

Code issues aside, we also have a trade practice of placing lights on a different circuit from the receptacles. There are two reasons for this preference: the first is that it is simply easier to have the sundry lights, even serving multiple rooms, and their switches on their own circuits. A secondary reason is the desire for a tripped breaker (serving an appliance) to not leave you in the dark.) Often, lights will be on a 15 amp circuit, while receptacles will be on 20 amp circuits.

The fact of the matter is that a "Smoke Detector" is a component of a fire alarm system. A "Smoke Alarm" is a single station unit containing a detector, a notification device and a back up battery. Smoke alarms are sometimes hooked up as multiple units in residential occupancies. See definitions in NFPA72

Question was: How do I test AFCI's and my answer is by using the test button on the breaker per manufacturers' instruction. I am not aware of any "Testers". only AFCI indicators.

GFCI's I use the orange Etcon GFCI tester.

As for GFCI protection on Household Fire Alarm systems, the code prohibits it. As for Smoke alarms on AFCI's - Use a low voltage system then you don't need it. Code says 120v. system.

Last edited by George Little; 02/10/09 12:35 AM.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
The approved test method for both. The TEST button.
Per manufacturers literature.

Now my question is:

After you push the AFCI and or the GFCI test buttons as 'recommended' by the manufacture.

Do you Check and confirm that the affected devices are off?

Do you then go back and confirm that the affected devices worked in the first place?

Do you remove the batteries from the smoke 'Alarms' and ensure that they are on the AFCI ckt?

Do you Trace out All(both or more) SABC?

(You= Inspectors.)

leland #184435 02/10/09 08:35 AM
G
Leland, I guess my answer would be I don't get that in depth with the inspections I make. I do make sure the polarity of GFCI's is correct and that the device trips and all devices down stream also trip when I plug in my Etcon tester and push the test button.

As for the AFCI's on the smokes,there is a different LED display when they are on battery.

At some point in the grand plan of things it is the responsibility of the installer to make sure things work. For example, appliances (furnace, water heater, range, etc) may not work or perform as expected. This is not the responsibility of the inspector, not a code violation, but instead it is a maintenance issue.
Another example is the common problem that I see with a circuit being double protected with two GFCI receptacles in the same circuit and wired such that tripping one will disconnect power to the second one. Not a code violation but causes confusion to the person testing or using this installation. Not an code problem.

George Little
L
Agree with all the above.
Most Towns here have 1 inspector each. So town to town is different.Some just stand at the front door,others crab about a tilted wall plate.

It is our responsibility to install correctly.For some reason I would be offended if an inspector tore into as I described.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard