ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Originally Posted by Trumpy
How big is the pipe that you are looking to monitor?

What I am thinking is a probe set into a sleeve-mount around the pipe, sealed with RTV 732 sealant, allowed to cure before being fitted to the pipe.

Bear in mind you will need to drill into the pipe to give true temperature reading.
I don't think this is necessary unless the temperatures change very quickly. Temperature gradients are linear; if you lag around the probe with enough insulation, it will accurately read the internal water temp even if the probe is outside the pipe.

I'm using a [wired version] barbeque thermometer to measure oil temperatures on my vegetable-oil heating burner; goes up to around 200C / 400F.

Remote wireless versions of these devices are inexpensive, [aimed at a mass market]. Oregon Scientific's AW129, for instance, reads up to 392F at 100 feet range, about $28, on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-AW129-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0006G2WYK

I just lightly fix the 'meat' probe to the relevant pipe with a worm-drive stainless hose clip and cover it with a bit of regular split-foam pipe insulation.

The hot water from a wood-fired boiler will fluctuate during the stages of a burn far more than the accuracy of the thermometer. I guess you want this device as a refueliing indicator?

Alan

Last edited by Alan Belson; 01/21/09 07:31 PM. Reason: correction

Wood work but can't!
I just read some of the reviews of the above product. Not looking too good! Ah well, it's the thought that counts!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
J
I personally would use an LM34CZ from Digi-Key (<$6.00) soldered and shrunk onto a 3 or more conductor cable. DPMs from MPJA range from about $8 to $15. The power supply would depend on the DPM, probably 5 or 9 volts, derived from a used wall wart. Output is 10mV per degree F from -40 to +230 degrees. Set the meter for a 2 volt range and one decimal place and you will read the temperature within a couple of degrees.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=LM34CZ-ND
http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=52

Joe

J
RTD's and thermocouples come with NPT pipe thread. Male and female. Check http://www.pyromation.com/

All you need is an RTD (so you can extend the conductors) and a temperature controller. Since you only need the display, you will not need to concern yourself with the outputs. But you will have to set/program the sensor type.
The controller will calculate distance and resistance, so you can be accurate with extending the conductors. Use THWN or similar. You also will need a small enclosure for the controller.

Ps.....They can make the RTD cable any length you need. "Special Order"

Last edited by JValdes; 01/30/09 04:20 PM.
OK,
Reason I suggested what I did (even though Merlin had the better idea of using a tee), is during my training, I was always told to get the sensor probe as close as possible to the sensed medium,as it makes the readings that more accurate.
Actually in it, is about as close as you can get, however that should not be beyond the expertise of most electricians as far as keeping things from leaking goes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard