ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Charles Offline OP
I am restoring a 105-light crystal chandelier this month and no supplier I have visited as 105 of anything, let alone the 105 medium based sockets I need.

The bottom of the chandelier has two hubs, one below the other, each of which has 36 stems with threaded ends radiating from it. The middle has a hub with 12 stems with threaded ends and the top as another hub with 12 stems with threaded ends. The perimeter of the chandelier has 8 arms, each bearing a socket and the very bottom has a socket contained within a beaded crystal globe.

One site online wanted six dollars for a keyless socket... No thanks. Any pointers as to where I could order the wire I need would be appreciated as well (I will order by the foot).

C
Charles Offline OP
Also, am looking for a place to order 12/4 online... We need at least three switch legs for this (on two 20 A circuits). It used to be on eight and ideally we would have more as well, but would anyone know if any suitable cables are available with more than four conductors or would we have to use a raceway or conduit? Cable is easier as we have to pull it through (hollow) huge chestnut beams. We don't want to take them apart as there was a blight of chestnut and you can't get stuff this big anymore. When the chandelier went up in the 60s (it's a 19th century piece) they cracked one of the chestnut pieces and we don't want to risk anymore damage.

Charles:
MC cable is available in multi conductors. Go to AFCweb.com & check it out.

Any local supply house should be able to get it for you. As to online purchase, try any major supplier in your area like GE Supply (GEXPRO); Graybar....

Now, brass finish lamp sockets, keyless, med base; 105 pcs., again.....a local supply house should be your best bet. Not 'in stock'? they should be able to order them, ship UPS/FEDEX & be well under $6.00.

Used to have a local supply house that had lamp/chandelier parts of every description, but that was the good ol days, before the orange and blue boxes came!

John
K
You might try W.N. Desherbinin for lighting parts. Not sure if they have online ordering yet, but they’re main office is located over in Danbury Connecticut, so is sort of in your neck of the woods.
They seem to have a pretty good selection of lamp and fixture parts.
The only thing is that I believe they are still wholesale only, so you'd need to establish an account with them before they will sell to you.

Their website: http://wndesherbinin.com/

McMaster-Carr Supply carries 12/4 MC cable, but not NM. It is item #6864K26.

Their website: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Kjay:
Nice link to lamp supplies. That's a keeper for me!

Charles:
If you read this....$4.25 ea. socket at the link!

Also...Southwire has multi conductor cable, MC and NMC, but...you may not be able to use NM, if your bldg is a place of occupancy.

Happy shopping

John
B
Charles, You have been working on those chandeliers for a long time! Anyway try this place, they have everything. I have ordered from them before, no problems. You should be able to get your sockets under $2, they even sell them by the case of 100.

http://www.grandbrass.com/
(Grand Brass Lamp Parts)

BigB:
Don't know where Charles is.....
Thanks for another keeper link! Great varitey....nice $$$

John
C
Charles Offline OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the responses. I am terribly sorry I haven't replied earlier but things here are awfully busy. We have many projects on the go at once.

BigB,

Talk about the chandelier has been going on for a long, long time. We're only just getting around to it now because there were more pressing issues such as replacing sections of the slate roof, restoring the grounds, etc. Thanks for all of the help so far, I will post back with some of what we've done later.

C
Charles Offline OP
The chandelier is down on the floor in pieces right now and I've ordered a case of sockets! It's on the go, I will keep you all updated as the project edges toward completion. Am going to do six switches: three for the lower hub (24 lights x 3), one for the middle (12 lights), one for the top (12 lights) and one for the outside and lowest light (9 lights).

Originally Posted by Charles
The chandelier is down on the floor in pieces right now and I've ordered a case of sockets! It's on the go, I will keep you all updated as the project edges toward completion. Am going to do six switches: three for the lower hub (24 lights x 3), one for the middle (12 lights), one for the top (12 lights) and one for the outside and lowest light (9 lights).

can we see before and after pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard