ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#183467 01/10/09 12:42 PM
L
I'm curious of those that install gear that requires Ground Fault Protection by the NEC - How many of you have the GFP tested after installation? Required by 230.95 C ( 2005 nec)

Last edited by luckyshadow; 01/10/09 12:43 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Absolutely - It's required by the NEC and the manufacturer. I always ask for the engineers spec on where he wants the trip point, I witness the performance test as administered by the company performing the test and then sign the document that goes on record as compliance with 230.95(C).

For the record, pushing the Test button on the equipment is not acceptable as the "Performance Test"

In my career as an inspector (25 years) I have had 2 systems that did not past the first time.

George Little
B
We perform secondary injection testing of GFP systems for ECs and over the years (25-28) I have had countless GFP systems fail the initial test.

We test the GFP relay at all factor presets for current pickup and at a timed operation at the settings recommended in the coordination study (if supplied). We also test (megger) the neutral for any grounds downstream of the main service, megger the bus line and load and ductor/micro-ohm the power contacts. Lastly we recommended leaving the main line switch closed (as do manufactures) during construction till power is to be connected and recommended leaving the GFP relay set at minimum current and time delay for minimizing possible damage to equipment during construction.

Last edited by Brian_John; 01/19/09 06:02 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard