ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
One of the plants I service here in Houston is in the business of disposing of HAZMAT waste. They have all sorts of separators and ovens they process waste. PCBs are burned there.

Originally Posted by WESTUPLACE
One of the plants I service here in Houston is in the business of disposing of HAZMAT waste. They have all sorts of separators and ovens they process waste. PCBs are burned there.

Apparently, these incinerators are some very heavy duty stuff, back in the early 90's we had a PCB amnesty here, I was reading at the time a book on how these PCB's are disposed of, the temperature that they incinerate these materials at, is something quite phenomenal.

We were sending a LOT of PCB filled gear (or the oil itself) to France.
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of devices here still in use here that contain PCB's and are only being found when they break down and have to be replaced (like fluorescent lighting ballasts).

We have a few of those old school trannys still working hard here in Hawthorne, CA. They are in rough-looking condition though. I'll try to get some pics for here soon.

The one shown in this thread has had an arc to the can, look to the left of the right-hand HV bushing. You may have to select the full size pic to see it clearly.

Stupid should be painful.
H
John,

In northern NJ my POCO still has some very old looking transformers on their poles. I wonder if they have been cleaned up.

Last edited by harold endean; 05/17/10 09:47 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard