ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 529 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Steve:
17K sq ft is a huge house, no doubt about that. Yes, NEC calcs are how services are sized. No, you should not install a 10 amp service & ATS/MTS. (LMAO)

POCO records were mentioned by me, as it is a reliable record of consumption on existing loads, and is used frequently. I did NOT see the OP's 17k Sq ft data in his reply posts until now.

My point was & is...the original (#1) post was regarding the CT & ATS/MTS placement.

No mention was made as to the loads to be connected to the gen and if a gen panel was being installed. Perhaps an engineer may be needed?

John
800A into a residential installation??!!

I'd like to see the service wires on that.

Big house or not, no way are you going to need capacity like that.

Mike:
600 amp, single phase is 'normal' on the BIG >10k Sq Ft McMansions here; 800 for 17k Sq ft may be overkill, may not.

Depending on the toys; pool; sauna; jacuzzi's, steamers, etc. the 5 to 10k sq ft range from 300 to 400 amps

One EC has a 21k sq ft maxi-McMansion coming soon....800 amp, 3 phase, 4 wire, 120/208 volt.

Now....don't ask about the bills...or the actual loads! LOL

John
G
The only problem with the electric bill method is a steady load of just 30a could be a $700-800 electric bill.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
We get a KW reading record going back xxmonths or years, not dollars

John
B
bot540 Offline OP
We have begun this installation and yes the transfer switch is rated and wired for 800 amps. We are installing a fused disconnect for the generator to insure it doesn't pull more than it can handle.
This house also has Geothermal heating and cooling which seems to draw less electricity then convential cooling anyways. I have checked the ampacity and it hasn't gone over 120 amps as of yet.
Now on grounding. As I understand(haven't checked with the AHJ yet)this is now the mpd and should be grounded/bonded as such. Also are you required to drive a ground rod and bond the generator?

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
Cat Servant
Driving a groud rod for the generator will accomplish nothing ... though, I suppose, you might consider it a 'detached structure.'

A
Bonding generator may create a parallel current path with the neutral and EGC depending on how your transfer switch is set up. Should generator frame be grounded - most manuf. require it. Check out the following reference for your scenario:

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/Gen_Panels_Appl_Note_EN.pdf

S
Originally Posted by bot540
We have begun this installation and yes the transfer switch is rated and wired for 800 amps. We are installing a fused disconnect for the generator to insure it doesn't pull more than it can handle.
This house also has Geothermal heating and cooling which seems to draw less electricity then convential cooling anyways. I have checked the ampacity and it hasn't gone over 120 amps as of yet.
Now on grounding. As I understand(haven't checked with the AHJ yet)this is now the mpd and should be grounded/bonded as such. Also are you required to drive a ground rod and bond the generator?
The generator frame must be bonded and grounded, but HOW it's bonded/grounded is up to you. Driving a supplemental rod is never a bad thing, but it's probably not required. The neutral grounding depends on whether you have a 3-pole or 4-pole ATS, and where the present neutral-ground bond is. It will most likely be floated at the generator.

Cat Servant
Don't make more of this than it is.

The transfer switch is probably arranged to make your installation nearly mistake proof. That is, it will have sets of lugs, grouped together and clearly identified as to main power, generator power, and load. From that point on, it's just "connect the dots."

Likewise, the generator likely has a big ground lug for you to use.

As for the "parallel path" issue ... at this size there ought to be no doubt about breaking the neutral, and having a separately derived system. When the generator is running, there is no reason to remain connected to the PoCo wiring in any manner.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard