ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 460 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pdh Offline
Here is a story about a big blogger site that has permanently crumbled due to incorrect thinking about backups. In this case, journalspace.com staff simply didn't understand the difference between "high availability" (which RAID offers) and "point in time backup" (which RAID does not offer).

http://journalspace.com/

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/02/1546214

FYI, I currently have 30 different point-in-time offsite backups of my websites, and yet I worry I don't have enough (because there are only 2 sites keeping the backups).

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by pdh
Google appears to have flushed the index of the site. It must have done a crawl and noticed the DNS is not configured. Did the hosting company take it all down completely? I know how to find cache stuff at Google, but I fear with the DNS shut off, it may be flushed now. A standard Google search finds nothing on the site.
It was a subdomain, I just haven't put anything back up yet.

I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, but may want to look into the possibility of a closer integration with this Forum, so I'll probably be doing a temporary setup somewhere to see what my options are.

I noticed the elec photo site down, but I thought it was a DNS issue I was having....

I've started uploading pics back into the website and they seem to be showing in the original threads as if there was never a problem smile I'm sure most of us have our pics still in our own personal computers and could re-upload them

If anyone comes across something I posted that needs a pic replaced, just email me the thread # & I'll do my best to get the files back in smile

With the 100's of hours I'm sure Bill has put into this place for us, I know we wouldn't fuss about putting in a couple ourselves wink

Thank you for it all Bill!
Randy

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Thanks Randy,

As time permts I'm going through the records I have to see what photos I can return to their threads.

If anyone finds a thread without photos please post a link to it here.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard