ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Reno:
Well said, you covered all the bases!

You may be surprised how many contractors fail the 'get it in writing' step!

Go to court; judge asks 'may I see the contract/agreement'; 'but your honor....I don't have one...blah, blah, blah'! Judge "dismissed"!!!

The old snowball's chance in hell!!

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
Well, HotLine ... sad to say, I haven't his all the bases ... yet. That's why I thought the original post was so relevant.

Les (LK) touched on it ... the old "do right by me, and I can get you plenty of work down the road" line. We had a discussion here about that line once ..... after much searching, we found ONE guy who had ONE additional job come from someone who said that.

I've noticed that the line is always used without your asking for it, at an inappropriate time in the conversation. When it happens, I try to cut them off ... making that promise is almost like placing a curse on the relationship!

I try to mitigate the harm, by insisting that we'll see what happens, that I don't expect -or even want- any promises; let's take things one job at a time. Oddly enough, this response seems to be well received. I'm too new into having my own business to tell if it helps any.

At any rate, hearing "the promise" seems to be a sure guarantee that the relationship will be troubled, and that you'll never, ever see the guy again. When you hear it, you need to ADD 30% to your fee, if you still can! If nothing else, "the promise" ought to wave a big red flag in front of your eyes.

Now ... maybe someone else will talk about that "time pressure" that the OP ran into ....

L
"They never have any intention of paying for the work, or plan to squeeze as much out of you as they can. Nothing is ever done well enough; no price is ever low enough."

So, enough of this deep philosophy.
That's the bottom line.
Our hope, is to spot them, not "convert" them.
The cheap folks are out there, This is where intuition and instinct kicks in.

psychology "Aint my bag Baby". It's quite simple.

This much for this work.

Last edited by Trumpy; 12/25/08 04:24 AM. Reason: Edited to remove expletive
Reno:
A few years back a former GC who went to the sunshine state returned here to NJ.
He had a 'job' as a prop mgr for a large retail mgt co. (strip malls)
He called me for PL lighting, said 'lot's of work'...'hire more men'..etc.
He called job order in; 'one strip ctr; 'lots of lights out'; I sent 2 men w/bucket trk; +/- 1 hr ride.

Long story short; lighting was POCO owned and maintained!!

He showed up at site; asked to relamp 1 2x4 fixture in office stairwell....16' ladder/scaffold job!....more (lots) of work!!!! Last contact I had was that day.

PS: took 90+ days and threat of court action to collect for time expended that day.

I do not deal with promises & hope all will learn, but not the 'hard way'.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard