ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#182942 12/19/08 04:00 PM
S
Just had a call to take 2 circuline fixtures down and rehang 2 florescent strips. Gave the man a price of $80.00 ( just a little above service call rate here). Quickly said that was too much and hung up. I need work real bad, so I called him back and told him I'd do it for $50.00 since he didn't live too far from me. He told me he had someone to do it for $ 30.00. This all happened within 3 minutes. I told him that was a good price, thank you and bye. Wow!! Looks like I'll have to cut my rates down even more if I'm going to make anything

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
sparkync #182943 12/19/08 04:06 PM
W
I can't believe you would lower your "rates" to do work for someone. Sounds more like you'd be working for free. We electricians are truly cut throat with each other apparently. 50 was too low btw. Im amazed the lengths people will go to do work. I know the economy sucks now, but when will we smarten up as a trade, we are not laborers

WireNuts29 #182949 12/19/08 05:10 PM
sbi Offline
How could any do that for thirty American dollars?
I am cheap but there is a limit. If I was just a handyman and not a licensed Ec I still would want more than that!

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
WireNuts29 #182954 12/19/08 08:13 PM
L
Originally Posted by WireNuts29
I can't believe you would lower your "rates" to do work for someone. Sounds more like you'd be working for free. We electricians are truly cut throat with each other apparently. 50 was too low btw. Im amazed the lengths people will go to do work. I know the economy sucks now, but when will we smarten up as a trade, we are not laborers

Zactly! After our recent ICE storm I've been called for generator hook ups.
No temp stuff, done right (scratch) Correctly or no deal. (cord caps etc.)

At my own home,no power for 6 days, my Gen-Tran swirtch and 5K gen worked great. But at 1 point I had a backfeed on my lines!!!!!
How would that make the linesman wife feel?
Now with 12" of snow tonight and more on Wednesday...
I would like to call the Town and have the AHJ go check out the temp Generators.

A2#H(*e? Maybe. But it would secure my spot in the Business and perhaps save a life.

Win-Win in my oppinion.

Just ask yourself....... What would a plumber do?

leland #182959 12/19/08 09:06 PM
Leland:
A 'smart plumber' would sell the HO a natural gas/propane generator! (Joke)

The backfeed situation presents a real danger. Enforcement of 'temp' emergency generators, on a wide scale area, may be difficult/impossible for the AHJ's. Are the AHJ's in your area booked? Do they have time/manpower to police all temp gen's?

Maybe some EC's might think of mailing out flyers for installation of transfer switches in areas that are storm prone!

John
HotLine1 #182960 12/19/08 09:36 PM
L
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Leland:
A 'smart plumber' would sell the HO a natural gas/propane generator! (Joke)

The backfeed situation presents a real danger. Enforcement of 'temp' emergency generators, on a wide scale area, may be difficult/impossible for the AHJ's. Are the AHJ's in your area booked? Do they have time/manpower to police all temp gen's?

Maybe some EC's might think of mailing out flyers for installation of transfer switches in areas that are storm prone!

Now thats Funny!!! smile

Of course the AHJ does not have time, nor would the town pay them OT. Nor would I.
Basicaly just a vent.
I am not that cold hearted that I will not assist with getting your heat on.
But I will draw a line, from good neighbor to a man with a concience.

Contradicting? Yes. I feel I made the point I was after.

BTW: Earlier this week I got a call to fix a guys boiler. He got it temped out (himself), but when the power came back on... No heat, He did'nt note what and how he took apart.

leland #182964 12/19/08 09:54 PM
Never crossed my mind that you were cold hearted.

I got your point before, and had to throw mine out there.

Just caught an ad in local paper...Generac, gas/propane & electric hookup, $5999; local EC.

John
sparkync #182966 12/19/08 10:12 PM
Cat Servant
Looks like you learned a lesson ... if you can open your eyes to it.

Let me put it this way ... had you offered $30, the guy would have then claimed he found someone for $20. He was gaming you.

It sounds counter-intuitive ... but such a person needs a HIGHER price, not a lower one. Save your sharp pencil for folks who have proven themselves good customers.

If he calls back, take the hard line: You've reconsidered, your price is $120. He missed his chance. You'll have to do it in the evening, as you now have another commitment. You also want his credit card # before leaving the shop. If he doesn't like it, he can go back to the phone book.

You might even suggest he go to a seminar at Home Depot. What you DON'T want is this clown wasting your time.

renosteinke #182967 12/19/08 10:50 PM
S
Yep, you're right guys. I guess it is better to rake leaves or cut grass for $50.00 than to belittle our trade.
I was just thinking what would happen if the guy who's doing this work for $30.00 happens to find "brittle" wires in the light box when he takes down the "old" circuline flourescent light. I don't imagine he's a licensed electrician anyway, just a do it yourselfer. If he calls me back, yep, my price just went back up. He should have taken me up on my "special for the day":)

sparkync #182969 12/19/08 11:15 PM
W
Well if his house burns down(god forbid) and his homeowners insurance finds evidence of botched electrical work, they may have an issue with covering him. It i truly frusterating to me, the amount people will pay an auto mechanic, or plumber without hesitation, but when you dish out a price that's higher than a handyman's quote you are the bad guy. the flip side is that handy man doesn't have the on the job training, and required schooling to be an electrician, or the proper insurance to cover his gaf's . Selling your work is not simply about installing a light fixture, it is about peace of mind. your customer can sleep soundly knowing you checked the wiring was not brittle, and that you secured that ceiling fan properly etc. Honestly if a customer wants to bargain shop I'm positive electrical work is not the place to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard