ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Hi All,
I know its been a long time. Guess what? I have 6800 hours and one more block of 75 hours on the code class to go. 8000 is not that far off now. However my boss ( who I work part time for as construction is in the tank here) gave me this to look up. A gas fireplace is being installed in a liveing room for one of our customers.Single level house. Now according to the plumber a CO2 detector must be installed in the room. My question is how far away from the fireplace must it be and where am I allowed to install it in the room? I have spent the better part of today looking in the code book. I am asking this because I cant find the answer in the code book. Im worn out and you guys ( and gals) know a lot more than this 51 year old apprentice. Someone help please? Thanks again. Hi Trumpy !!!!!!!!
Steve

G
You really have a hard time finding the "rignt" answer and you may actually find several.
At ambient temperature CO is pretty close to the same density as the air so it doesn't pool on the ceiling like smoke.
Personally I think COs in the bedroom should be from mid level to low on the wall since that is where the air you breathe is but that is only my opinion.
I would say in any room they should remain accessible for regular maintenance, something that is not likely to happen with those "peak of the cathedral ceiling" smokes.
I would keep the CO as far from the fireplace as you can, just from the smoke contamination standpoint.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
You really have to love the NFPA standard ... 23 pages of "follow the manufacturers' directions.' Don't waste your money buying the standard.

My own thoughts? First, place it as far from the furnace as possible, and not in the path of any 'plume' of hot gas from when the burner ignites. This is, in part, because the CO detector will falsly read natural gas as CO ... and there's always some of that around when the burner lights.

Secondly, place it near where your head will be ... CO can't harm you unless you breathe it. In a living room, this is at about the 4 ft. level. In a bedroom, about 3 ft.

Don't place CO detectors in any place you can't be comfortable in, continuously, wearing a sweater. They freeze / false alarm around 30 degrees. Nor do that handle temps over 100 well.

Finally, take a marker and write ... in big letters, visible from the room, "Replace in December 2013." CO detectors have a finite, five year life. There's no fighting it ... once you unwrap it, the clock is ticking. After that period, the unit will test "OK," but will NOT detect CO.

L
Hi Steve, Keep at it!!!!
Now to your question.
Go to the mass dept of fire services web site,thats where it is.
Specificaly 527-CMR.31
Heres the link. Ma. is very detailed now on this subject.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...revention_cmr_cmr527index&csid=Eeops

Link Copied to Clipboard