ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Can someone help me out and find in the the NEC2005 where it talks about the location of a disconnect for a sub panel.

Its my unerstaning that you must have not more then 6 disconnecting means for a panel. Does this apply to a sub panel? If so its my undertanding its best to back feed the panel with a breaker and label that as the disconnecting means. OR you can install a fused dissconnect as long as it is "with in sight". Either way the disconneting means must be "with in sight".

I have found the following code referances:230.71 max number of disconnects, and also 230.91 location of OCD. Would these be the correct referances for my situation?

Thannk you as always

E

Virginia Journeyman Eletrician
NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

The 'disconnect' for a sub panel is the circuit breaker/fuses at the source of the feeder for said sub panel.

You must not exceed six (6) switches at the service entrance (excluding exemptions)
ie: a 'main' panel with six (6) switches/brkrs for the feeders/circuits sourced within that panel.

Yes, you can have a 'main' within (or adjacent) to the sub panel, but it is not required.

John
S
As long as the feeding panel, with the CB, it is with in sight that makes sence. But if the feeding panel is not with in sight. I think you must have a CB on the feeders feeding the sub panel.

E

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
HotLine1's right

There is no such requirement.

The only things that require a disconnect to be "in sight from " are transformers, motors, fixed heating equipment, storage batteries, tents and concessions, mobile homes, signs, and fixed appliances

S
i don't recall a definition of subpanel, methinks that's our own jargon.

that aside, there's much ado about where said 'subpanel' may be.

for instance a 'subpanel' can be withing the same structure, or in a satelitte structure

this becomes, imho, the point of definitional confusion

in the latter case,iirc, although it may be referred to as 'the barn subpanel' it will still fall under the auspices of the 'service entrance' doctrine within the nec...

~S~

S
Originally Posted by sparky
i don't recall a definition of subpanel, methinks that's our own jargon.

that aside, there's much ado about where said 'subpanel' may be.

for instance a 'subpanel' can be withing the same structure, or in a satelitte structure

this becomes, imho, the point of definitional confusion

in the latter case,iirc, although it may be referred to as 'the barn subpanel' it will still fall under the auspices of the 'service entrance' doctrine within the nec...

~S~

So it is correct to say, it must have a single or no more then 6 means of disconnect in it. Or it must have a breaker back feeding the panel for a main.

E

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
G
If the load side panel is in the same structure it does NOT need a local disconnect. If it is in a separate structure there does need to be a disconnecting means in that second building. The 6 throw rule really only applies to "power panelboards". "Lighting and appliance panelboards" (more than 10% of breakers serving branch circuits) can have no more than 2 main breakers. 408.16(A)

Greg Fretwell
G
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If the load side panel is in the same structure it does NOT need a local disconnect. If it is in a separate structure there does need to be a disconnecting means in that second building. The 6 throw rule really only applies to "power panelboards". "Lighting and appliance panelboards" (more than 10% of breakers serving branch circuits) can have no more than 2 main breakers. 408.16(A)

Greg- look at 225.32 & 225.33

George Little
Hang on there guys...
The OP didn't say anything re: locations, multi-bldgs, etc.

Soko:
A little more detail/info please!!

John
W
unless you're tapping into a set of larger ampacity wires,or bus duct, your sub panel, won't require a breaker. The feeders will be protected by the breaker which feeds them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard