ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18258 12/07/02 06:24 PM
J
joeh20 Offline OP
I've seen a few guys on here from time to time posting from Tennessee. And was wondering what licences they held here.
I currently only hold a Limited Licensed Electrican
certificate.
I don't work full time for an EC now. I have worked for a general commercial building contractor off and on for 15 years. But always under his license. I do alot of add ons and repairs for people now, and stay quite busy.
Im just not sure which way to go about getting more training and electical competency in order to pursue further licenses and a potential full time business as a proper EC.

A fair amount of my work requires state inpection, and I allways pass these. And have had several complements about my work being neat and workmanlike. I have a good relationship with the three local inspectors, and they trust my work to be performed safe and code compliant.
Just thought that someone might have been in my shoes and could lend some guidance.
I work 40 hours every week midnight shift for the local water plant. And can't give up the $600 a week + benifits right now, 11 month old baby and wife working part time, but enjoy the electrical work so much more than the water treatment field. But I would just like to begin preparing myself for this move in several years.

Lighting the way
#18259 12/07/02 10:47 PM
J
Just... What does your "Limited License" keep you from doing?

#18260 12/07/02 11:20 PM
J
joeh20 Offline OP
It hasn't kept me from doing anything as of yet.
But it doesn't seem to be anthing but a permanant number and an ID card. I didn't have to pass any test to get the card and number. I've had mine for years. Now if you apply for this LTD license they have an exam to pass to recieve one. But in my case I just sent n the $25 dollars and got the certificate.
The license allows me to pull permits for residential and commercial electrical services. I don't know the dollar limits of the jobs one may do with this license but I've heard $30,000 per job per month, is the cap.
I've never done anything near this. A few commercial services 200 amp single phase, and less than a 100 residential and mobile home services all 200 amp. About half of these under this license.
The inspectors here all approve the work I do and I know it safe and code compliant.
I feel that Tennessee falls way short in its licensing of Electricians, at least with this LTD license. I mean the test they give the new guys is a step in the right direction but way little and way late.
In the absence of what I deem a credible license, I was just inquiring if anyone held a journeymans or a masters in Tennessee and how they pursued this. From the local inspectors viewpoint as long as my work passes them then all is well. But I suppose I just yearn to hold the credentials of a qualified electrician after demonstrating my ability and worthyness to do so.

Lighting the way

Link Copied to Clipboard