ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#182445 11/27/08 02:32 AM
My apprentice... newbie journeyman is leaving to go work for another company. I thought I would give him a cheat sheet with some tricks and tips....but I taught him all I know in the first 10 minutes he worked with me grin

So I thought I would go fishing for some more anybody have a must know tip for up and coming jw they would like to share please post.

I will start the ball rolling:

When making up shared neutral(multi-wire,boats)use a crimpsleeve to ensure accidental opening of neuts by future (sparky's) maintanance,homeowners sometimes we must protect people from themselves. If solid or stranded place crimpsleve on prior to twisting wires together with linemans... twist wires and then lightly crimp, oversize wirenut and bingo. Also as a contractor if your employees follow this tip and you get a call about tv, computers fried you will know if someone has been tinkering where they ought not, since it will take a snip to open.

J
You need a chase nipple but do not have one. Take a compression connector (EMT) and cut off the threaded section that holds the conduit. Use a hacksaw. This leaves a chase nipple with a smooth throat.

A
I'm not a fan of barrel crimping smaller conductors. I see your point about the networks. It's my opinion that you can never full proof anything. It would not keep someone from cutting the crimp off. I try to identify the networks with tape. If someone can't figure that out then it's their own problem.

I never liked it when a fitting was cut into a chase nipple. Is it wrong? Don't know. Maybe not listed for that use? All I know is if I use a chase nipple, back to back, or a close nipple with bushings I'm good to go.

Just in the last 2 ideas it shows how many in the trade have different ideas on the exact way things should be done. There has been debates here in the past about which way to mount a device, pre twist wires, back stabing, identfing, etc.

Too often I believe newer people in the trade have a idea how things are done. But they don't understand what rules are NEC, local ammendments, company policy, job specs, or how the forman wants it.

An example might be strapping EMT.
Instead of just telling them you need to put 2 straps on each pipe.
Tell them the min NEC is 10' between straps.
Pipes can sag at that distance.
If 1 straps fails on a 10' spacing it is more likely to come apart or down.
6'or 8' spacing is better but because it comes in 10' lengths, a spacing of 5'would put your strap in the same place on each pipe.

Don't say back stabbing is wrong (if you belive so). Just say some places do it to same time but it's not the way your company does it and why.

Tell him to pay attention to the way things are done in the new job because that's probibly what they want from him. If something seems to be done odd ask. Like why is everyone using only the side knock outs in a box... There may be a reason but they forgot to mention it. Even if it's not the new guy's fault sometimes the blame is passed to them.

And don't be affraid to ask by saying "we would use this or do it this way at my last job, is that how you want me to do it" or "does the company have any special policy for wiering". That gives them the chance to say if they want something twisted or numbered.

One other thing I was thinking the other day. Use only the correct screw for the job. Knowing what the screw sizes are and what uses them should be on an exam. That really pisses me off when someone should know what screw to use is to lazy to fine one and uses anything. Such as self taping waffer, hex self tapper, or drywall to hold in grounds, mud rings, devices, fixtures into mudrings, pannel doors, etc. You can try to blame handymen and home owners. But there are electricians doing this that should have their tools taken away.

Make sure he has all his tools because mooching is lame.

Z
Watersparkfalls,

Here's a link to a thread that really took off a few years ago. There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread that you might want to print out and hand to the young'un.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/68503/1

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard