ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
What can people tell me about becoming an electrical code inspector? I have been looking and most places require you to take the ICC exam. It looks like another exam simular to the journeyman's exam. 60 questions and 3.5 hours to complete it. Any thoughts?

Virginia Journeyman Eletrician
NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
G
Just be sure you take the right test for your area. I did the whole series of IAEI tests (2A,2B,2C) and then found out Florida only accepted SBCCI. It was good training tho. I blew through the SBCCI tests in about 1/3d the allotted time. The questions were very similar and by the time I got to my 5th test (SBCCI residential) I was just clicking them off, out the door in 45 minutes. The only real down side was all the extra money I spent.
There is usually some "experience" ticket you need punched too.

Greg Fretwell
Soko:
Check with the State dept that controls licensure for whatever the requirements are in your locality.

Here in NJ we have 2 levels of elec inspector (ICS/HHS) then 'Sub-Code', which equates to 3 test modules. If you want NJ info, I can get you the link Monday.

John
as replied before check with your state and see what the requirements are.
I have taken ICC test and i think it is too easy. they need to make these tests a bit more challenging. IMO.

Edward

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Cat Servant
What happened to the idea that ... before one could become an inspector .... they were first expected to be competent in the trade?

I'm not sure I like this test-taking nonsense. I an seeing far too many inspectors who couldn't wire a light switch. Some junior colleges even have nine-month certificate programs in "inspection technology!"

S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
What happened to the idea that ... before one could become an inspector .... they were first expected to be competent in the trade?

I'm not sure I like this test-taking nonsense. I an seeing far too many inspectors who couldn't wire a light switch. Some junior colleges even have nine-month certificate programs in "inspection technology!"

I have been in the trade for 13 years now. I have just finally decided to take my tests to be OFFICIALLY in the trade.

Virginia Journeyman Eletrician
NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
Link to NJ DCA re: license application requirements

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/licensingunit/pdf/licens_info_bklet.pdf

Experience within field is required in most cases, unless you are an Architect or Lic. PE/EE. Happy reading, 47 +/- pages PDF

John

Link Copied to Clipboard