ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#182129 11/19/08 01:28 AM
S
Anyone taken the Virginia Journeyman's test this Year? I am scheduled to take the test this Monday and was wondering what to expect. Please fill me in.

ERIK

Virginia Journeyman Eletrician
NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
S
I PASSES!!!!!

It was not as hard as I was thinking it might have been. The only though part was multiple calculations in one question. There were lots of calc questions and lots about motors for some reason. I guess motors create alot of heat that is why they are concerned with them. Watch out for the Hazard questions, lots on explosive area's.

I will have to add that the Regulatory section is a joke. The questions are vague and do not pertain to an electrician for the most part. Lots about criminal activity.

Let me know if anyone else needs information about the test.

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
S
I'd like to sit for it soon... just need to get off my ass and apply! What's the format of the test, is it an 8-hour marathon, open book, multiple choice scantron test?

S
The format is as follows:
10 questions from the regulatory section, I can provide you with the link to the website for the regulatory laws, you can take these in with you. you have to pass this section with 7 questions correct.

The technical section:
60 questions with lots of calculations and motor questions. you must know about the hazard classification section. This section you have to pass with only 42 questions correct. You have complete all 60 questions though. There are a few questions about the different types of conduits and wire. There are a few question about fire alarm cable. Some general knowledge.

You can bring in any doccuments that you print out off the computer as long as they are in a binder. You can bring the uglys book. You can bring the Code book, a calculator and the american electricians handbook.

Let me know if you need any more information. I have a study guide, that for the most part are same questions of the test. Just worded differently.

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
S
Thanks smile I'll go check out the VA website and see what all I need to register. I've been procrastinating, but really just need to go and do it.

S
You must submit your paper work to the STATE licensing board for approval before taking the test. Be ready it took the state two months and a dozen phone calls and the last phone call to the director of licensing office to get my appiclation approved. For somereason the state does not want to approve the applications quickly. I guess this is good for the current electricians. The application cost is 90$ plus 100$ to take the test. The test is all computerized, multiple choise. Dont wait, they are looking at revamping the test requirements again. There is a list of what you have to accomplish before you can send your application. This information is on the application, it has to do with classroom hours and the amount of OJT you have.

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
S
Wow! That's one expensive test. Out here the application is free and the test is $60. 50 questions and a three hour time limit. 75% to pass.

Did you have any time limit?

S
The time limit is 3 hours for the technical (60 questions) and 30 minutes for the regularoty (10 questions) Must pass with a 70% or better.

Its all a write off anyway to me with my business. At least now I can charge an electrician rate:)

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified
S
BTW, CONGRATS!!!! woot!! laugh

Yeah, I've had to suffer through DPOR before. I'm debating whether to just skip straight for my Master's license- will cost another $90 up-front for the test, but I'd have to pay it anyhow next year, but could skip the 2nd licensing fee. And of course, the test would be harder than the Journeyman's exam, but I'm very (over)confident in my knowledge and abilities laugh And as they split it up into 3 separate tests, I imagine I could always come back another day after more studying if I find myself struggling with the Journeyman exam in the morning?

How many references do we need on the experience sheet for each job, just one? Do they need to sign that form and it's done, or is there more to it?

S
One Referance for each job, Yes they must sign it. Also they rejected my application and asked for a referal letter. Thisalso happened to two of my buddies. So we told out other buddies to just get your referance to sign a letter stating your accomplishments, ie. details of your job duties, install lights, spec'd out materials, bend pipe, grounding, maintenance. etc.... They wanted specific duties that we did. So they got just that.

ERIK

NFPA-70E Trained
CFC Universal Certified

Link Copied to Clipboard