ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Niko Offline OP
Table 210-21(B)3 allows 2 or more 15 & 20A receptacles on 20A circuits. what does the code say about 2 or more 15A rated switches on a circuit that is protected by 20A breaker?

Thanks for your comments.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Switches are really supposed to be rated for the load so a 15a switch on a 20a circuit is not a problem if it is a 15a (or less load). More of an issue, generally, is whether a switch is motor rated when it is a motor load. You have to watch out for this when you are using a snap switch for things like pool pumps and big "whole house" fans.

Greg Fretwell
I
"Switches are really supposed to be rated for the load"
So what about a 15A switch controlling a duplex receptacle, with a 20A breaker? Where you really can't determine what the load may be.

Cat Servant
I'ts quite simple, Ian.

Let's assume you have that switch operating a space heater, or other heavy load. The switch simply won't last very long, and stop being a switch. There might not even be any fireworks; the contacts just won't close anymore, and you get to replace the switch.

That's the whole point to the 'motor rating' idea. Motors, and some other loads, require a lot more than the rated current under specific circumstances .... so the switch will need to be able to handle those moments.

Once again, we come up against an example where 'trade practice' has been decades ahead of 'code.' In this instance, I'm referring to the trade proctice of separating the lighting circuits from the receptacle circuits, and using 15 amp circuits for lighting.

P
pdh Offline
The one switch failure I ever had was a "failed to OPEN" scenario. But that switch was very much abused.

Link Copied to Clipboard