ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#182125 11/19/08 12:39 AM
HCE727 Offline OP
I am installing a flat panel tv, on the same circuit, that has a window ac on it. What would be my best option as far as a surge protection outlet, not stip.

Hank
HCE727 #182127 11/19/08 01:02 AM
G
You really need a strip, with a coax port. Surges on TVs are usually reconciling the difference between what is coming in on the cable and the power. That also lets you protect VCR,s DVD players and DVRs.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #182141 11/19/08 09:37 AM
E
For an outlet at the tv I install these....

http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-Wall/MIW-POWER-PRO.aspx

You may want to check the amperage of the AC, before you install the additional outlet! Why not run another, or to a different circuit?

John
HCE727 #182170 11/20/08 06:09 AM
I take it that this is a plasma type TV?

Them sorts of TV sets don't like voltage sags, the likes of what could happen when the A/C starts up.

With respect to Surge protection, if it is possible, I recommend to all my customers that the whole installation be protected at the panel, it also saves on light bulbs too.
The devices are not hard to fit either.

Trumpy #182176 11/20/08 10:25 AM
Mike: (Trumpy)

....Nice graphic!!!!!

John
HotLine1 #182182 11/20/08 01:26 PM
G
The only problem with the panel protector alone is it doesn't do anything to reconcile a ground shift between the TV cable and the power. You have the same problem with the phone line and a modem.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #182216 11/21/08 09:10 AM
S
well what we really need is a 780 guy, they seem to understand lightning best through their doctrine

unfortunatly, they're really a scarce breed, methinks they may have been electricians at one time, but evolved themselves to deal with mother nauture

anyways, i did find one once who took his time to translate the mystery of lightning from multi-sylabic jargon down to simpler terms i could grasp...

seems they subscribe to a very similar scenario that we do re; series AIC...

they'll start with addressing the service via a Ufer (which is a code i like because i like watching those concrete guys gears jam...."It's a Ufer"...."You for?....."No, i gotta do a Ufer"....."Me for?what for?")

then i'm told to use mov's>>> next would be the fancy surge breakers>>> then surge receptacle(s)>>> then protective strips with a belden loop

anyways, it'd be nice to hear from a 780 dude here, you just can't use a phone book to get 'em, they're like some sort of cult, look for the pointy ears....

~S~

HCE727 #182217 11/21/08 10:02 AM
S
Go buy a small (350VA or so) UPS. They run $30-50 and most name brand units (APC, Belkin, etc) include surge supression and filtering and will protect against surge, dip, overvoltage, undervoltage, the works, including short power failures, and catv protection. The first thing I did when I bought my HDTV was throw it on a UPS! Don't forget to plug your DVR into it, too, so that a storm won't mean your favorite shows aren't recorded smile

The best approach to lightning protection is a tiered approach, with TVSS (or SPDs if you're using a new copy of NEC) at each point in the distribution. The most critical point is at the service entrance, as the power lines are WAY more likely to get struck by lightning than your house, and the path to ground offers the least resistance here, and thus the most effective surge clearing. For most people, a TVSS in the panel will suffice. It doesn't matter how they're packaged, as they all use the same MOVs. Considerable voltages can be induced on house wiring from a near miss, and high-voltages will still come through the house TVSS, so secondary surge supressors are recommended at computer/AV equipment, too.

SteveFehr #182237 11/21/08 03:28 PM
G
If you don't do anything about the TV cable and phone line you have just made your TV or PC the surge protection device. Steve is right. It is important to stop as much as you can at the service entrance and be sure everyone is using the same ground electrode system. Then use a strip that incorporates all inputs to each piece of equipment at the point of use. I also like to snap ferrite beads on the signal lines and bond the hell out of stuff.
That may seem like overkill to people who don't have many thunderstorms but it is what we figured out here in SW Florida where a storm is a daily thing for most of the summer.
I had a thousand customers that could not turn off their computers and unplug them every afternoon. We made our lightning calls go from, several a day to virtually zero using these techniques.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard