ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sorry to be putting so many post. I guess it's my day in the shop and going over the code. One thing I wished they would have changed is 411.4(B). As far as I'm concerned and obviously a few of the inspectors I've had dealings with, the ruling for lights under 30 volts, to have to be
10 ft. away from a pool, is ridiculas. You can put a 120 volt light under the water. and within 5 ft., but you can't put a low voltage light within 10 ft. of the pool. I realize that the low voltage light is not grounded, but neither is it grounded when it is in the front or back yard after a hard rain and is accessible to children, elderly, etc. etc. It refers to article 680, but there is nothing I can find about low voltage lights in 680. I've had more than one pool where it was pratically impossible to keep that distance. I've had at least 2 inspectors that agreed with me. Anybody else had this problem. Seems like it just creats confusion, at least on my part it does...
Sorry for the ranting... guess it's just my day... Steve..

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
You aren't being ridiculous, Steve. I agree that this is downright silly. Then again, I think that lots of '08 changes are crazy. It screams of how much influence that the manufacturers have over the code. I'll bet that if any manufacturers of LV lighting had a seat on the NEC's board, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
If you had the same grounding and bonding requirement on a Malibu light as you have for an underwater light I am sure it would be safe.

Greg Fretwell
H
What does the manufacture instructions state? I have seen where the Manufactures instruction prohibits their lights within 10 feet of the pool. If that is the case, then they can't be there as per 110 of the NEC. Right? I am not saying that all manufactures do not allow their lights near the pool, just some of them.

G
680 trumps 110.3(B). If it is not actually listed 680 safe I don't care what a manufacturer says on the label.

Greg Fretwell
S
perhaps a gfi's efficy on the line side of the low v x-former is a consideration here?

Last edited by sparky; 11/16/08 10:09 AM.
G
A ground fault on the secondary of a LV lighting transformer will not trip a GFCI. In fact the "first fault" will not be seen at all. You will have just grounded what was an ungrounded source.

Greg Fretwell
S
ok gfretwell, so would this justify the spacing difference?

~S~

G
Perhaps I didn't explain this clearly enough.
Low voltage lights are generally not GFCI protected, the primary protection will not protect for a fault on the secondary. If they did you could never keep those cheap Malibu lights burning. wink

I suppose if someone came out with a LV light that did have GFCI on the secondary side there would be a reason to reexamine this.

Greg Fretwell
F
That will be nice idea if someone get the GFCI work on secondary side of LV luminaires but IMO you will get more GFCI trips than it should be.

But what I heard but not confirmed and myself I did see that some of the LV transfomer some of them have secondary side is on isolated format.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard