ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18200 12/07/02 12:38 AM
You know,
We're all here to help each other. We know that.
Regardless of outside influences, what do you think the goals of this Forum should be?

I've got a hard time explaining to the others at work what it's about.

They might look, but they don't understand.
So, why the heck are we all here?

#18201 12/07/02 12:51 AM
I don't know why I originally came here, but I'm glad I did. I continue to come here for fun, and fellowship. As far as goals are concerned.....I haven't thought about it. As far as your friends are concerned, I would tell them it's like flying. I can't explain the experience in terms that would give the listener the real feeling of flight. So in order to know, they have to "get on board". This forum is no different....just on board.

Fasten your seatbelts,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18202 12/07/02 01:24 AM
C
Hmmm....good question!
I guess a tangent to this is "How did you discover ECN?" [did a google search, found it, laughed a lot, decided to stay]

It's about friendship. Meeting people that you wouldn't be able to meet otherwise and laughing like crazy at the stories they tell.

As far as goals go, I think it is implicit. To help out your fellow electrician as much as possible, and have a great time doing it. [Linked Image]

Peter
#18203 12/07/02 01:42 AM
I came here on a Google search, either I was looking for the EC Magazine to subscribe, or I was looking for help on a question, I don't remember.

It was an immediate <click> <favorites> <save>.

I've been here practically everyday since then!

Especially since the latest developments, I'm in utter awe of the deep friendships that we have here.

Thanks ECN, and thank you Bill.

[Linked Image]

Into the future:

Someday, I envision wearing wireless devices, perhaps a small screen in our safety glasses, with voice control, camera aimed at point-of-view, etc.

And be able to access ECN "in real time" to seek or give advice to others, perhaps similar to surgeons assisting in operations from across the globe today.

Troubleshooting, programming, advice, simple documentation of work performed and not performed, etc. On-line ordering of materials, data for time on certain tasks...

Probably lots of other things we can't even dream of.

Technology isn't there yet, and cost would probably make it a subscription thing (Bill would have to charge for it), but it would be so worth it.

[Linked Image from hypertrek.org]

Or is that too Borg like?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-07-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#18204 12/07/02 02:02 AM
As far as goals go, I think it is implicit. To help out your fellow electrician as much as possible, and have a great time doing it.

It was an immediate <click> <favorites> <save>.

Amen, boyz!
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18205 12/07/02 02:09 AM
B
I came, I saw, I stayed... in spite of not being an electrician and only having a smidgeon of anything to add, at that, you all have been most gracious hosts & compadres.

I found a piece of info for a contracting question on materials here with the assistance of several posters. I found more than technical info and a generous spirit and have passed along the site to several in the technical realm, especially about the safety issues.

#18206 12/07/02 02:25 AM
Bren,
I was going to ask you, "Watts a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?" But you beat me to the punch.

TKO,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18207 12/07/02 06:34 AM
S
i read the trade mags religously,then i found the url in the mag which landed me here.

i am in biz alone, but not by myself.

my proffessional counterparts are all here to advise me, which has been a priceless resource.

oh,on the 'borg' thing, i love technology but i'm sorta in 'spectacle denial'..... [Linked Image]

thank you all.

#18208 12/07/02 09:18 AM
E
Don't know how I got here but I am here to stay. You guys are the reason I open my code book EVERY DAY! As for goals do we really need any. Hate to sound like some of our customers but, If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

#18209 12/07/02 09:21 AM
W
I was referred here by my brother sparky. I love this site. Such a wide variety of experiences. We have the common home owner, electricians, instructors, project managers, maintenance and engineers. I wish I had got into this a long time ago. Fellowship here is what it's suppose to be. I find myself checking out all articles every day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard