ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#182056 11/16/08 11:58 PM
J
i have a customer that has a 3 family home with a newer existing service, 3 meters, three panels. they need a landlord/ common area panel. i want to keep the existing service and add a new socket. the meter stack is able to tap into and installing the new socket is possible. my questions is, are there any codes i should be aware of to do this. i couldn't find anything against what i want to do. not adding any loads just moving all common area stuff to new panel. thanks.

S
Better check with local utility company, they may want a certain amperage for the owners panel. Around here they want 200 amps even if the load doesn't warrant it.

F
Jack.,

I will suggest that you check with the POCO for latest info about using that arrangement you want to do that and yeah there is a tap rules you have to becarefull with it { some inspectors will frown on that }

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Z
I'm with the your 2 other responses. As long as you stay within the confines of the NEC and your local AHJ with your installation, the people you're really going to have to please is your POCO. They will dictate the parameters you must satisfy in order for them to provide service to your new installation - what they say is going to be the last word.

You need to contact a project manager with the local POCO and review your plan, or better yet, meet them out on site so they can let you know what will fly and help you avoid pitfalls.

POCOs usually have their own set of rules and regulations, and it's a good idea to as educated as possible about those rules - it will save you a lot of headaches, time, money, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard