ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I stood in front of this panel and tried to imagine what I would be doing in there. I thought the shelf was a handy place to set my tools and didn't seem to keep me from reaching anything but I am pretty tall.
I found out it is really 9 1/2" not 11 1/2 (1x10 vs 1x12)

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Right along those lines, I have had a couple of times where I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get through an access to get to the Service equipment. There was a light in the area, there was a "refrigerator" space once I got in there but I've often wondered if I wrote this up what code reference I'd use. Was it accessible? Yes. Was it readily accessible? Maybe.

I've wondered about the guy who is shall we say well fed, what does he do? I also had a job where the access was about 16 inches wide and some of us would not have access to that space:)

Last edited by George Little; 11/17/08 11:48 PM.

George Little
G
I had a similar situation in the attic of the Ringling Museum in Sarasota Fl. I told them that was not readily accessible. You had to "climb over" and around ductwork etc and it was in such a place that you couldn't be "reached quickly". They ended up cutting in another access right next to the panel with a permanent ladder. It was actually quite a nice ladder for a "pull down". Not your daddy's attic ladder.
The mechanical inspector and the maintenance people thanked me for being a jerk about this since a lot of the maintenance items they expected to be easier to get at were now accessible too.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard