ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181549 10/15/08 02:57 PM
B
brsele Offline OP
First off, let me say that motors are my personal area of weakness.
Knowing that they are my area of weakness, I’ve tended to try to avoid them.

However, I have a small job now for an existing customer, that I think would be a good job to review motor basics as covered by the CEC.

The customer has a small shop and wants to hook up a compressor.
The compressor is 240V and the nameplate says 15A.
The compressor has a thermally protected motor and an on/ off switch.
The panel feeding power is an old one with plug fuses and is within 9m of the compressor.

Because the compressor has a switch and is thermally protected, I can just feed it with 12/2 and fuse it between 20A up to a max. of 45A.
Correct?

Now some confirmations please relating to motors.
If the compressor didn’t have a switch, then I would need a disconnect switch. A 20A DPST switch would work for this purpose. Correct?
If the compressor didn’t have a switch but the circuit was fed through a breaker panel, then would the circuit breaker count as the disconnect switch?

If the compressor motor wasn’t thermally protected, what would be the most cost effective method of providing this?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Bruce

brsele #181551 10/15/08 04:57 PM
M
Originally Posted by brsele
First off, let me say that motors are my personal area of weakness.
Knowing that they are my area of weakness, I’ve tended to try to avoid them.

However, I have a small job now for an existing customer, that I think would be a good job to review motor basics as covered by the CEC.

The customer has a small shop and wants to hook up a compressor.
The compressor is 240V and the nameplate says 15A.
The compressor has a thermally protected motor and an on/ off switch.
The panel feeding power is an old one with plug fuses and is within M of the compressor.

Because the compressor has a switch and is thermally protected, I can just feed it with 12/2 and fuse it between 20A up to a max. of 45A.
Correct?
See 14-510 and 28-200 to 28-204

Now some confirmations please relating to motors.
If the compressor didn’t have a switch, then I would need a disconnect switch. A 20A DPST switch would work for this purpose. Correct?

Sorry, see 14-510 and maybe it does

If the compressor didn’t have a switch but the circuit was fed through a breaker panel, then would the circuit breaker count as the disconnect switch?

Yes per 28-600 to 28-604

If the compressor motor wasn’t thermally protected, what would be the most cost effective method of providing this?

A manual motor switch with integral overloads might do it but be careful about whether it will restart automatically.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Bruce

Bruce we never get better when we avoid particular work because we don't know the answer. Glad to see you are trying.

If it were not for the danger presented by moving parts and the need to up size the over current devices then motors would be easy. BTW the on off switch might serve as a disconnecting means. Good luck and stop letting your current abilities determine your future abilities. These are opportunities to expand your competencies. Time to open section 28 and get comfortable but not too comfortable as that can lead to complacency.

mikesh #181887 11/06/08 12:13 PM
B
brsele Offline OP
FYI- The install went well with no defects.

Another question for Mikesh or anybody else who wants to chime in.
In both the CEC and OESC, rule 28-210 states that instantaneous-trip circuit breakers shall not be used unless part of a combination starter, etc.
So with this install, where the motor has thermal protection and a FLA of 15amps, if it was fed through a regular breaker box, could you protect it with say a 30A circuit breaker (non-time delay) and feed the motor directly with #12 wire?

Thanks... Bruce

brsele #181897 11/07/08 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by brsele
I can just feed it with 12/2 and fuse it between 20A up to a max. of 45A.
Correct?

2 core cable?
No earth conductor? whistle

Trumpy #181898 11/07/08 08:27 AM
B
brsele Offline OP
Mike,

We don't include the bonding conductor in the cable.
It's a given.
So 12/2 has two current carrying conductors and a bonding conductor.

Bruce

brsele #181976 11/13/08 03:47 PM
M
From Table D-16
Min 18.75 amp wire #12 is good
Mad CCT BR. is 35 amps so your 30 is good
If you used fuses then TD at 25 amps or non- time delay at 45 amps.

Instantaneous circuit breakers don't have thermal trip capabilities so will never trip on overload. The only trip on over-current often a minimum of 6 times the normal value of the breaker or 180 amps for the 30 amp breaker.
No overloads required because the motor is thermally protected. A local disconnect if the equipment is further than 9 meters or cannot be seen from the panel and vice versa.

So since you did not mention the panel location or a local disconnect the rest is good so far. IF the panel is within the mentioned distance or you have a local disconnect then you done good. Next motor will be easier.

Link Copied to Clipboard