ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I got a call to do some exit/emer maintenaince in an apartment building. They had a fire marshall inspection and some of them did't work. I was called to fix them. This should be an easy fix, except that they were all wet location signs and lights with tamper resistant screws. I spent two hours finding the right tools. I changed all the batteries and there was one bulb that was bad.

My problem is that I cannot find the replacement bulb. It is a MR16+c 6v 5.5w. I just get funny looks at rexel, ced, ces and graybar, all our local suppliers. I went online and ordered what I think is a match but it is on backorder. Have you guys ever seen these bulbs.

My second question is disposal. I know some of you will say to just toss them in the dumpster, and I have, but what is the best way to dispose of the sealed batteries. I also have some hps bulbs to get rid of. I'm not an environmentalist, but I do believe in doing what I can to save some drinking water for my kids.
thanks

MR16 Refers to a multifaceted reflector lamp 2" in diameter.

http://www.dabmar.com/Products/TMB/DL-MR16-12-VOLT.jpg

Cat Servant
I've encountered Lithonia emergency lights that seemed to use unnatural bulbs .... for the effort, you're better off just replacing the entire unit.

N
Since the battery is lead acid donate them to a scrapyard that handles batteries, or any other place that handles batteries.Gets rid of them in a legit manner.

Tom Offline
I'm with NORCAL, recycling batteries shoudn't be a problem with all the metal recycling going on. Many places that sell car & truck batteries take back the old ones, you should be able to find a battery seller that would take a few off your hands.

You might consider contacting the manufacturer of the lights to get replacement lamps. i know that this will be the most expensive route, but if the link posted above doesn't help you, it might be the only way.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
The incandescent lamps in every exit light I've ever seen have used either 15T6 candelabra base or 20T6.5 intermediate base lamp as the primary lamps (besides the occasional ones that take a medium base.)

The backups have used either #909 wedge base or #1594 double contact bayonet base 6 volt lamp.

Just replacing the entire unit isn't an option when you have a building standard to maintain.

I can't for the life of me figure out where a 2" diameter MR16 would be suitable for an exit fixture.

T
Is this it?

COOPER LIGHTING - SURE-LITESĀ®

The MR16 Series

e.g.MRT6T5 Exit Fixture

Uses lamp type MR16
6 Volts
5 Watts

Cooper Lamp Number: 029-139

for more detail Google MRT6T5 and download the pdf.

Tesla
T
In the future always reference what the brand name was on the exit fixture. It really narrows down the google search. Readings off of the lamp are too generic.

Tesla
$2.29 per lamp: http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/2669/oc/MR-16C%206V%205W%20GU5.3/item.html

More options here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/search.php?search_data=MR16C&cat=%22%22&x=0&y=0

Last edited by noderaser; 11/02/08 09:09 PM.
S
I could not find a name on the fixtures, however that is the exact bulb that I need. In fact the one from 1000bulbs is the one on back order until the 7th. I will order from the Bulbconnection and see if they can have it here faster.

They are good looking lights. Seems overkill being completely waterproof with full plastic enclosures inside the building. I guess they wanted to spend the extra money on the tamper resistant covers to keep the vandels out.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard