ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181736 10/27/08 04:34 AM
J
Hi,

Does anyone know what sort of power system they use in Dubai? We have a factory and we are sending a Ukranian machine from our UK factory there.

Wikipedia suggests that the single phase voltage is 220V but no mention of polyphase systems etc.

Mainly out of interest as we will be checking before we wire it in.

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
S
I'd recommend having someone at your factory verify what power is available in the building so that you can order whatever transformers or frequency converters are required before you get there. There's a mix of standards out there, so it's hard to assume. If the 1-phase matches british standards and uses british receptacles, it will most likely be 400V 50Hz for 3-phase.

M
I was in Qatar 2 years ago and they were wiring to British codes. I think UAE is the same.

T
Good luck and keep us informed if you get a result wink

J
Thanks for replying, it looks like the move might be delayed for a while as it has broken down! Rumour has it that our computers work fine out there but I will have to call in a local electrician to check it out.

I remember being slightly surprised to see our Singapore branch using all british accessories

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
Johno,
If the single phase voltage is 220VAC, the 3 phase voltage is more than likely something like 380VAC star.

The question I would ask is, what sort of a machine is this?
Where voltage could be critical to controls and what-not.

One other thing, it is up to the installing electrician to verify that their systems will agree with the machine in question before it is installed.
There are a lot of ex-Aussie and NZ electricians over there in Dubai, that went there for the BIG money.

Link Copied to Clipboard