ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181725 10/26/08 04:37 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Here is a couple of pictures I took in an elderly dairy shed here some months back.

The yellow wire you see, is actually a length of 3 core extension cord.

Some idiot has stripped back the Main earthing lead (with a blunt knife by the looks of it) and hooked up this abomination, using a split-bolt:

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Here is the other end of this great idea, it "connects" to the metal framing of what is known as a milk cooler, these don't need earthing at all and I have no idea why this was necessary in the first place!:

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Mike.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
The use of a split bolt makes me think someone who knew how to do it correctly didn't. The expanding foam spewing out of the ducting is interesting. I also think an elbow would have been more appropriate instead of a straight joiner for the poly pipe.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by aussie240
The use of a split bolt makes me think someone who knew how to do it correctly didn't.

Farm workers seem to pick up all sorts of "skills" from Line workers, electricians, plumbers and God knows who else when they do work on farms, just by watching us.

However, the result is often just like the above.
At least with a bad pipe joint, you'll only get wet.
I just hope that the other end of the Earthing Lead (electrode end) never gets cut, this place is continuously wet inside, due to many, many plumbing leaks/repairs. eek

Split bolts are used on the electric fences here where the energiser connects to the fence, adjacent to any farm building that has power connected to it.

The reasoning behind the foam in the ducting is to keep the mice and rats out, dairy sheds here have grain feeders that feed the cows during milking (as well as a bit of molasses, as a "treat"), these things aren't 100% accurate in their aim so you end up with mice and rats for miles.
A few cats around the place could put that fire out.

If anyone else has worries about how many cables are packed into that ducting, as in Space Factor, I looked up at it and thought "Crikey!".
The same thing could have been done with 80-100mm PVC conduit and all be sealed, especially around that Steel joist, what is there at the moment is 50 x 50mm ducting.
Sad.

Link Copied to Clipboard