ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18167 12/06/02 10:38 PM
M
I was talking to mynew boss today and the subject of bonuses came up.

He told me that the company just recently gave out the largest bonus ever to a supervisor. $ 30,000.00.

Do you see all of those zeros? [Linked Image]

I couldn't believe it. When I was hired, the owner told me that the supervisors recieved bonuses based on the profit of the job but I never thought it would be that much.

Have any of you heard of bonuses this big given to an electrical contractor's supervisor?

#18168 12/06/02 10:57 PM
R
Don't get me started on bonuses for managers!!
One of the reasons I'd like to leave my day job fully and be entirely on my own is due to this exercise in selfishness.
It takes EVERYBODY at all levels to make a company run. Somehow though, the perks at Corporate America Inc. seem to stop some where above me. I'm not suggesting that everybody recieve the same level. Just that everyone be eligible.
Having had to hire (and rely heavily on) people as needed has truly been an eye opener to the fact that without good "grunts", nothing gets done efficiently.
I'm sure that managers have a long list of reasons(make the hard decisions, have lots of responsibility, etc) why they deserve their exorbitant perks. They probably truly believe that they deserve it too. But I also have a long list of reasons why I am underpaid and also should be eligible for a bonus. Are their reasons any more justifiable than mine?

#18169 12/06/02 11:38 PM
J
I agree with you redsy! The guys who do all the work never get paid for it. I just found out yesterday that a machinist i know in our shop has been there 3 months less than me and makes more money than me. even though i have an associate degree in industrial electrical and am expected to keep his machine running and build projects and set new machines. as well as facilitate continous improvement and the other maint guys. and the little guys making 30,000 a year need a big bonus more than the guy who makes 100,000 a year if he cant manage that kind of money he doesnt deserve a bonus. sorry i had to vent little upset over my pay issues and what they expect out of me for pennies on the dollar.

#18170 12/07/02 01:45 PM
M
Just so you guys know, from what I've been told,it is not required but most of the supervisors give thier key people part of the bonus.

The supervisors get paid, maybe, a couple of dollars more per hour but do not have to do any physical labor unless they want to.

Sounds like a good position!

#18171 12/07/02 05:13 PM
S
indeed! .... i didn't even pay myself that in gross wages last year...

all i can think of is Mel Brooks in 'History of the World', saying
"It's good to be King"
[Linked Image from leffa-arviot.com]

sparky~{coulda been a contender}~Steve

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-07-2002).]

#18172 12/09/02 04:56 PM
G
Interesting story about bonuses:

I was on a papermill job as a journeyman once where we ran out of inch and a half aluminum conduit. The superintendent would not authorize purchasing more. He said enough was bought to do the project, the workers had put too much in the scrap pile and to dig there, we had plenty of couplings and piece nipples together to finish the run. I couldn't see that this was costworthy.

Found out later that in order to be "fair" to the superintendents on bonuses the company based bonuses on material used as opposed to material taken off. They figured there was so many variables in the hours taken to install material the superintendent would be penalized if the workers were not that good a quality or other natural or material delays ran the labor estimate over. After looking back I now see why this particular superintendent always laid out the runs himself and made me feel like I was not considered a competent journeyman or foreman. He has progressed to high in the company and I hope to never work for that company again.

#18173 12/10/02 01:23 PM
T
Though unrelated to the electrical business, I remember back in '92 while working at a rehabilitation center as evening charge nurse, bonus's were handed out on an attendance type "reward" set up. The salaried staff were not included in the bonus giving. When I asked the Director of Nursing why the "supervisors" weren't included she put it bluntly, "they aren't the ones that do the "real work". #1 reason why I didn't continue on in my education to become a bigger wig. Am happy to be one of the *ion's that does the real work!!

Tiff

Link Copied to Clipboard