ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
We would have never guessed. Working your way through college?

wink

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Thanks a lot for your comments guys.
As far as I'm concerned, this is one of two Windows computers I own, it has XP, it has 4GB of RAM, it is the computer I mainly use for important things.

I want the new SATA disk drive to be a seperate drive to C:
C: is partitioned into C and D drives, E is the CD ROM Drive
F is the USB stick I sometimes use to add stuff from "outside", it also shows up as G drive, after I have plugged it into my laptop, so that letter is not available.

I don't want striping or anything like that, because if one drive fails, it will take the whole array out, they must be independent of one another.

you don't need to worry about the drive letter the OS automatically handles that

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
SATA is faster than IDE, but the drives themselves aren't any faster, so you'd probably never notice the speed difference.

Steve,
It isn't actually speed I'm after with this upgrade, I need more space, I'm down to about 12% in C drive and 8% in D drive.
I'm going to try installing these devices this weekend and see how it goes.

And don't worry, I'll still have my laptop to come in here and pay you fellas out if it all goes wrong. grin cool

P
pdh Offline
Originally Posted by Trumpy
It isn't actually speed I'm after with this upgrade, I need more space, I'm down to about 12% in C drive and 8% in D drive.

Unless you have a reason or specific desire to keep it all in one box, you might consider external drives. USB-only ones are the most popular. But many stores (at least here in the US) have one or more triple-interface (USB, Firewire, eSATA) models. I have 9 of these in my setup.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by pdh

Unless you have a reason or specific desire to keep it all in one box, you might consider external drives.

No,
Thanks for the suggestion, mate, but I'd sooner keep everything in the one box, at least I know where it all is then. grin

Trumpy Offline OP
Woohoo!!
I now have a SATA DVD writer and a new 500GB of space to play around with.

I did try the install yesterday, but for I had a couple of settings in BIOS mucked up (can you say crash and burn?).

Got up early this morning and under the influence of hideous amounts of caffeine, managed to get things working properly. thumbs

RAID is not something I really need at this point in time, I've pretty much got everything backed up to the hilt, so if either the IDE or this new drive fails, I'm not going to run home crying to Mummy. grin

Thanks a heap for all of you guys that gave very good advice, it's most appreciated.

Mike. beer

P
pdh Offline
RAID is only useful if you need to ride through a hard drive outage with no downtime. That's redundancy. Another form of redundancy I often practice is a whole mirrored machine ready to take over. Or it can even be live all the time for certain protocols like DNS and NTP servers.

We can live through the inconvenience of a few hours or even days downtime if a drive or machine fails. But the backups (plural emphasis) are important.

G
RAID was really designed for AS400 type machines where the loss of one drive meant the loss of the whole storage array (basically everything on every drive you have). It was then picked up for servers where even a backup every night doesn't prevent losing a day's work. Now I suppose all server racks are RAID. We used RAID 5 where you have up to 11 drives in an array and you can lose any one without any loss of data. It is hot swap and automatic resync so the system never burps. You just get a message on the console telling you to replace a drive.

Greg Fretwell
P
pdh Offline
RAID, however, will NOT protect you from errant programs destroying the data stored on the array. Drop a database or format a partition, and it's done across the array. If a drive dies right after that, replace the drive and you still have a dropped database or a formatted partition. Backups and utterly crucial and RAID is never a substitute for backups.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard