ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 532 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Actually the Canadian Electrical Code requires AFCI protected circuits for all bedroom receptacles.

Bruce

H
Trumpy,

Wire Twister has the right answer. It is all about the money. However is this a "Conflict of Interest"? Wasn't there a problem years ago when a certain wire company got Aluminum wire approved to be used in houses? Remember what happened then? I also think that a code change every 3 years is too short. What is wrong with a code change every 5 or 6 years. I don't get the chance to write to the NEC code panel because I don't use the new code until a year or two later.

Cat Servant
Well, Trumpy, some folks might say the US has the AFCI breakers first because we are the world leader, and just that far ahead of everyone else.

Right.

These are the same folks who argue we should have tamper resistant receptacles because those other 'backwards' countries have them.

And we'll overlook the folks who still oppose nuclear power, even though it's been quite thoroughly mastered by the unwashed French - even the 'breeder' reactors.

I prefer using as an analogy an inexperienced backpacker.

The novice will pack an ax - he might need to chop some wood. Then a shovel - for digging a hole. A pick - in case he hits a rock. A mallet, for driving in stakes. A pry bar for pulling them out. Etc. Before you know it, the poor guy has a pack you can lift only with a crane.

That's what our code is becoming ... an unweildy collection of well-intentioned requirements meant to make things a 'little' safer. The result will be like that 500lb. backpack- irrelevant. Yet every piece will be added by someone unwilling to step back, unwilling to admit that they are part of the problem.

Probably the worst offenders, though, are those who seek to build their design preferences into the code. We see this, for example, in the recent rules that greatly restrict - even eliminate - the use of multi-wire branch circuits in homes. A practice that I can prove has been used, in homes, since 1940 is suddenly 'too complicated' for the homeowner.

I hate to say it, but when it comes to AFCI's, "the fix is in." The only way to get AFCI's out of the code is to stop adopting the NEC, even to the extent of writing your own code, rather than modifying the NEC. As long as those codebook dollars keep coming in, they'll keep printing them.

Harold:
Yes, the adoption cycle of codes here is perplexing, but something we have to live with.

Coming up soon, will be 2011 changes, and 9 hrs! Then a year+ to forget the 9 hrs.!

John
twh #190864 12/09/09 03:20 AM
M
Originally Posted by twh
If ever a technology encouraged extension cords between rooms, this is it. We've had problems with lights, but usually related to the switch or a bulb that burns out. Plug-in devices that trip an AFCI are appliances with built-in switches or thermostats, like irons, heaters and vacuums.

Since you had a problem in the evening, it makes me wonder about light bulbs. Are any CFL lamps or fluorescent ballasts involved?

Discovered that the home owner had put in CFLs at the front porch lights that were also on PC. Porch is not on AFCI circuit. Removed CFL and disconnected PC. Haven't heard from them for a week. Keeping my eyes crossed.

Thanks All
Mark

Something to look forward to!!

John
Hey Reno! I have an occasional bath even if I don't need one!
I can however assure our reader that the French tradition of total soap-dodging is alive and well here. If we get too near a true afficionado of eyewatering off the geiger scale body-fog in a checkout queue, we go round the mart again and come back when it's safe to do so!
Napolean once wrote to Josephine from Egypt, after the rotten Brits had sunk his entire fleet for a bit of fun; "Coming home - don't wash!" A three week trip in those days - Romantic or what sick!!!

Wood work but can't!
Alan:

???? care to kindly explain?

John
Cat Servant
Alan is responding to my good-natured jest above about the 'unwashed French."

Naturally, the real intent of my comment was to be critical of the anti-nuclear activists here in the USA.

Reno, it might be helpful if AFCI breakers were explained for the benefit of those of us not au fait with them, being a US-only device.
I might add that 99.9% of folks here have excellent personal hygene, so don't be put off by my remarks if you want to vacation in the Hexagon!

Wood work but can't!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard