ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18152 12/06/02 06:55 AM
F
fedup Offline OP
A good friend sent me this yesterday thought I would pass it on A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him.

When class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks right to the top, rocks about 2" diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them in to the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks.

The students laughed. He asked his students again if the jar was full? They agreed that yes, it was. The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. "Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life.

The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - anything that is so important to you that if it were lost, you would be nearly destroyed. The pebbles are the other things in life that matter, but on a smaller scale. The pebbles represent things like your job, house, or car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff."

If you put the sand or the pebbles into the jar first, there is no room for the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, material things, you will never have room for the things that are truly most important.

***** Pay attention to the things that are critical in your life.******

Play with your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out dancing.
There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal.

***** Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter.****

Set your priorities, the rest is just pebbles and sand. May there always be work for your hands to do; may your purse always hold a coin or two; may the sun always shine on your windowpane; may a rainbow be certain to follow each rain; may the hand of a friend always be near you; may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you. (An Irish Blessing)

#18153 12/06/02 07:45 AM
S
lol fedup
~ a great little ditty, maybe i should fitit on my answer machine [Linked Image]

#18154 12/06/02 10:22 AM
W
Or you could go with the ole Italain 1 liners as to not to take things too personal.........(FORGET ABOUT IT)
LOL

#18155 12/06/02 08:33 PM
Broom Pusher and
Fedup,

Thanks for posting this here! I'm going to print it for oral reading on Christmas Night's normal "Reading Of Inspirational Things".

Thanks again!

Scott s.e.t.

p.s.
Q: How do you get an Elephant into a Refrigerator?
A: Open the Door.

Q: How do you get a Giraffe in the same Refrigerator?
A: Let the Elephant out.

These were some examples on a document for self-evaluating Management skills.
Just wish I could find that document again!

s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#18156 12/07/02 02:11 AM
B
I have it - I'll post it as soon as I relocate it... [Linked Image] (give me a day or two)

#18157 12/07/02 02:21 AM
The biggest problem I have with rocks is....all the ones inside my skull.

I can dig it, fedup!

If you were in the southern hemisphere, would you be "feddown"?
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18158 12/07/02 11:08 AM
T
Nice story, I know it with one more thing, because after you have put the sand in, you can pour water into it.

Moral stays the same. We can do what we have determined to be the priority.
Like hanging out at the ECN !!! [Linked Image]

Beware the tyranny of the urgent!

TW

#18159 12/07/02 01:35 PM
Beware the tyranny of the urgent!

Good one TW. The best saying I've heard in a while. Are you the author of it?

Brakes applied,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18160 12/08/02 11:07 PM
J
Someone had sent me this awhile ago. I think the last ingredient was beer not water. The professor then said "Even when your life is full there is still room for beer"

#18161 12/09/02 07:24 AM
T
WD,

I don't remember where I heard it, very rarely am I the author of anything that profound.

TW

Link Copied to Clipboard