ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181536 10/14/08 09:36 PM
M
Merlin Offline OP
I have a customer that had installed a 12KW standby 6 yrs ago. However the contractor never completed the job. All I had to do was connect to the outside connection box. The unit started on power loss simulation but will not generate power. I am only getting 18 VAC L-L, and 9 VAC L-N.

Has anyone ever encountered this situation? I am leaning towards 1) brushes stuck - due to 6 yrs of no use
or 2) voltage regulator.

Thanks for any input.

J
Google "flashing generator". You need some residual magnetism to get the generation started. Sounds like the field has lost that magnetism. It's simple proccess. There are several ways to do it.

J
I had a broken field connection on a 900 KW Marathon/Cat Genset cause that problem.
Joe

M
Merlin Offline OP
Thank you, Gentlemen. I was not aware of the flashing situation. This sounds like that it could be it since it has sat for six years. Generac won't give me any info beacause i'm "not a servicing dealer". Is any one aware of the proper flashing procedure for this unit?

J
Manufactures that design and build a product and then will not stand behind them and freely exchange troubleshooting procedures is a disgrace. Any product engineer should be able to tell you in just a few words on how to do this simple procedure. I have done it on other gensets and they are all different. But the same. So I would be afraid to give you any advice as you potentially can harm the unit. Do you have the manual? Whats the model and serial number?

Try this: http://www.dieselduck.net/machine/03%20electricity/flashing_generator.htm

Last edited by JValdes; 10/16/08 12:12 PM.
L
It has been over 15 years since working with small generators, however the Generacs generally used encapsulated modules for different functions. If the unit you are working has this type of construction, try unplugging and replugging the various modules. It is possible that the voltage regulator module has oxidized contacts.

One way to demagnetize the field, is to stop the prime mover with the generator under load.

Larry C

M
Merlin Offline OP
What do you mean by "stopping the prime mover"?

Model 0044560
S/N 3587051

M
A generator has two parts, the generator which makes electricity and the "prime mover" that turns the generator. Prime movers are usually gas or diesel engines but can be steam turbines, windmills, etc.

M
Merlin Offline OP
I just talked to tech support again. They stand firm that they won't give any info because of liability. However he did tell me that this unit does not have a magnetized rotor. It magnetizes everytime that it starts. I pryed on him a little and he said it could be the voltage regulator since it has 18 VAC L-L. Anybody agree?

M
Merlin Offline OP
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
A generator has two parts, the generator which makes electricity and the "prime mover" that turns the generator. Prime movers are usually gas or diesel engines but can be steam turbines, windmills, etc.

Thanks. I have never heard that term before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard