ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181423 10/07/08 02:06 PM
G
gunther Offline OP
I haven't found any information about how to terminate the redundant ground wire that comes in the green mc that is suitable for patient care areas. One opinion was to fold it back over the mc and make sure the mc fitting clip caught it, another was to wrap it around the outside grooves of the mc and catch it with the clip, and another was to use land it under the bolt that tightens the clip.
My thought would be to just make it up with the regular ground in the device box.
Is there a detail on this proceedure that I am missing?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Just fold it back, and cut it off at the armor, if you're talking about Southwire's product.

http://www.southwire.com/processGetPage.do?bp=featuredProduct.jsp

Click on "view installation steps"

G
gunther Offline OP
Thanks, that helps a lot. Although the mc shown isn't the type suitable for patient care areas, with the insulated green ground and also the bare redundant ground that accompanies it, it does explain that the ground is sufficient because it is in contact throughout and evidently the fitting is sufficient for continuous ground purposes.
The only question I might have is that this type of mc is green in color and I wonder if it is a non-conductive paint. I appreciate your help.

G
gunther Offline OP
Update: I just called the manufacturer and they say that it has been tested to perform excellently when the bare conductor is cut off where it comes out of the jacket.

S
Just FYI, I believe that the HCF cable is actually AC cable, not MC.

It's MC, a type that came out recently.

From the site linked to above:

"UL-listed and NEC-compliant MCAP and HCF MCAP can replace conventional AC or MC cable in a broad range of applications."

Last edited by electure; 10/07/08 10:27 PM. Reason: add some info
S
According to http://www.afcweb.com/faq_.html

What's the difference between HCF and MC cable?

The difference between HCF and MC cables (as manufactured by AFC Cable Systems) is the grounding capabilities of the cable assemblies.

Type HCF cable has a green grounding conductor plus the armor/bond wire combination, thereby providing redundant or isolated grounding capability. HCF is a Type AC cable and is manufactured in accordance with U.L. 4.

Perhaps someone else manufactures an HCF cable that's type MC.

S
Too late to edit my previous post: Now that I'm thinking about it, I do recall an announcement a couple years ago that somebody was making an MC version of HFC.

I know this has been answered already but,
the idea of grounding with the conductors wouldn't work for two reasons. 1-its aluminum and conductors are copper and 2-that bonding jumper is very thin(16awg ?) and breaks very easily...but diffrent metals cant be tied directly tgether.

H20

G
The bonding conductor in the new MC cable is not that little strip you had in type AC. This is larger than the circuit conductors and in tight contact with the armor

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard