ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181422 10/07/08 12:36 PM
M
I have been asked to temporarly hook up a piece of equipment. It is 480V 3 phase and has 90A fuses on its main disconnect. The majority of the load is the electric heaters. I have a 75 KVA auto transformer (600/480) that I am going to use. We have a 600V service. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues trying to power up a 75KVA transformer with 60A primary fuses on it. I want to disconnect the electric heaters on the piece of equipment for now since we are onlyy worried about testing the other connected loads such as motors and I/O. This would leave a very small connected load but I am worried that the inrush of the transformer would blow the 60 amp fuses. Should I be safe and fuse it at 80 amps as if it were fully loaded?

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M
I have an installation here that powers a 75 KVA transformer with 60A Time delay fuses The run to the transformer is long, more than 100 meters. 60 Amp fuses were chosen because the secondary powers a 200 amp panel and there is no secondary OC protection so 60 A was the biggest fuse that could match without another OC device on the secondary or a 225 amp panel. They have been operating for about 2 1/2 years without an inrush failure on these fuses. I do think the impedance of the run helps too

M
So those who are interested know, I went ahead and strangled the 75KVA transformer primary to 60A and it held when I turned it on. So I guess now I can go ahead and start seeing what does and doesn't work on this boat anchor. Did I mention that it has sat for 2-3 years with no power to it. Allready I have to reload the plc program. Battery went dead!!

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!

Link Copied to Clipboard