ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#181357 10/05/08 12:57 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
I formatted an old win98se machine. I had some issues getting connected to the net, but resolved it when I realized the Ethernet card driver was not loaded.
Every thing works just fine except when I open the browser. I keep getting error messages (errors on page) or (done with errors on page). Also a warning (program will shut down)
I checked device manager and found a couple devices needing drivers which I installed. I have one that says it's an unknown device and is not needed?

Can anyone give any advice? I can't any security programs loaded. I might already have a serious infection or maybe it has something to do with my reinstall? Thanks John

Last edited by JValdes; 10/05/08 01:00 PM.
JValdes #181366 10/05/08 08:29 PM
G
It sounds like the Rockin' Windows Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Microsoft Flu.

AKA a driver conflict. The script monkeys always start with the video driver. Try it with the vanilla VGA driver if your card supports it.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #181400 10/06/08 07:06 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Greg,
I installed the driver from the resource cd that came with the machine. I am going to reinstall it tonight and see if that helps.
Do you know of a way to determine a device that is listed in device manager but the pc says it's unknown? This is the only device that is questioned. All other devices are okay...thanks John

JValdes #181404 10/06/08 07:56 PM
G
Delete the "unknown" entry and let it rediscover it on a boot. Pay attention to everything it says and see if you can figure out what it is. Usually you get that when a driver wasn't found and you ignored/canceled it.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #181458 10/08/08 07:55 PM
K
Your browser issues are most likely just an outdated Internet Explorer version. Just install a newer version of IE, Opera, or Firefox.

If everything is working, you might just ignore the device driver problems. I have a win98 machine that has an onboard video in addition to a video card. The onboard video always shows up as unknown, but since I don't use it, it doesn't matter.

If you do find need it try these instructions:It's been a while since I've done this, but in device manager or System Information, you will get a real long code number for the device that it doesn't recognize. (I think it's called the manufacturer code.)Once you have that, you need to Google it. If you get no result, start taking sections of numbers off the end until you get a useful result.

-I do have a Win95 machine that I tinker with, along with an old laptop that I tried to get Windows 3.11 (for workgroups) to work on, but I couldn't remember how to use it well enough. I like the old technology though.

kale #181478 10/11/08 11:31 AM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Greg, Sorry I got mixed up on another project.
Kale, I thought the same thing too. But realized that it was working before with the original software. The problem is, that I cannot get a good browser page. Even the home page has a error on it. I can go to web sites but with errors and screen looks fuzzy, blinking and out of sync.
I use Firefox on this machine. Can I download the software to a disk and try to install it on the old one?
If the fix is on the web, it will have to come from this machine.
Oh....I forgot to mention that the old machine is connected to the router. It does not have it own DSL modem. Do you think this could be the issue? I entered all the ISP info when I set it up after the format....Thanks John

Ps....All drivers okay, including the lan card.

Last edited by JValdes; 10/11/08 11:38 AM.
JValdes #181575 10/16/08 06:04 PM
Broom Pusher and
John (JValdes),

Try the techniques Greg described, to install the device driver

Delete the "unknown" entry and let it rediscover it on a boot.

How this is done:

1: In Device Manager, highlight the resource with the issue;
- either has:
a "?" (Question Mark),
or
an "!" (Exclamation Mark)
next to the resource of issue.

2: With that resource highlighted, select "Remove" from within the dialog box.

3: Close Device Mgr, then reboot Windows (make sure the Reboot goes through POST!!!).

4: When Windows restarts, the OS will attempt to configure the missing resource.
You will need the correct Driver(s) at this time, so when the OS asks for the Driver(s), insert appropriate disk, search for the Driver, select it, then continue.

After everything is done, open Device Manager.
If everything went correctly, there will be no "?" or "!", and all drop-down boxes will be "up".

Once this is achieved, configure the Video Adapter to its optimum settings.

What Resource has the issue?

I am willing to bet the Resource with the issue is an USB Resource. These typically come up with missing Drivers, as they are not used during a typical installation.

USB Driver issues normally need to be "Forced" in to submisssion. That is, the Driver needs to be installed Manually.

Since you are working from a "Driver Disk", the Drivers may be contained within a "Cabinet File", or they may be Compressed.
You might have better results for all Drivers if you save them to the Local Fixed Disk (Hard Drive), then install from there.

Additionally, you might need to access Drivers via the Internet, in addition to the ones on the Disk (patches, etc.).
Use IE to get these items.

After all Resources are properly configured, and you are able to perform a "Cold Reboot" (shut the Machine off, wait 30 seconds, then restart) with Windows' Resources all remaining properly configured after the restart (verify through Device Manager), then you should Tweak the Video Adapter's settings to optimum.

To Tweak the Video Adapter, right-click in the desktop area (away from any Icons), select "Properties" at the bottom of the dialog box, then adjust the settings accordingly.
P.S. you can verify the correct Driver is used for Video from this setup point also.

As to a few questions you had:

I might already have a serious infection or maybe it has something to do with my reinstall?

< RESPONSE >
Does not sound like an issue with Virii (plural of Virus), but does sound like an issue with the re-installation.

The problem is, that I cannot get a good browser page. Even the home page has a error on it. I can go to web sites but with errors and screen looks fuzzy, blinking and out of sync.

< RESPONSE >
Sounds like a Video Driver issue.
See what happens using IE to view a website.

Although I am not an IE advocate, it does become useful when dealing with base issues.

If the Video Adapter's settings are for 640 x 480, 256 colors (base VGA settings), very likely there will be Browser issues.

Firefox would ask for minimum 800 x 600, 16 Bit Video Settings.

I use Firefox on this machine. Can I download the software to a disk and try to install it on the old one?

< RESPONSE >
Yes. You can download the Drivers to any Machine in their "Raw State", then save to a Disk (or copy to another Machine via LAN) and install on the other Machine.
If the site ofers to "Install The Needed Driver", do not go with that option, instead save the driver in a temp directory, and install it manually.

If the fix is on the web, it will have to come from this machine.

< RESPONSE >
Only if there is no "SAVE AS", or "SAVE TARGET TO" option for the Drivers (Drivers are installed and configured on the Machine directly from the website).

Oh....I forgot to mention that the old machine is connected to the router. It does not have it own DSL modem. Do you think this could be the issue? I entered all the ISP info when I set it up after the format.

< RESPONSE >

As long as you have the DHCP settings correct, and you are able to access a website, there are no problems.

Good luck.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35 #181710 10/25/08 04:34 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Hey Scott,
The driver is "unknown". I cannot pick it from the list as I have no idea which one it is. It cannot be located from the resource CD or the win98SE CD. Dell no longer supports it so I cannot use their site for anything. Do you know of a free driver installer and driver scanner program?
I appreciate your time on this and apologize for not keeping an eye on this thread. I really had given up. But I am messing with it again. It bugs me when I cannot fix something.
Thanks again.....John

JValdes #181711 10/25/08 05:42 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Scott, I get "Unknown Device" on start up. I have to cancel it. I am not able to adjust pixel setting slide bar in display settings. But everything looks great except for web pages. All devices in "program manager are okay since I deleted the device in question. John

Link Copied to Clipboard