ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 137 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180609 09/01/08 12:14 PM
Cat Servant
Just a reminder ... closing date for proposals to change the NEC in the next edition (2011) is November 7th.

Anyone may make a proposal. You can even do it on line - visit NFPA.org.

Every proposal gets considered.

In the last code cycle, I made -maybe- 7 proposals. Three were reflected in changes made. One was rejected - then turned up in the new code anyway.

Proposals need not be 'earth shaking' changes. They may address little things. They may simply correct bad grammar, clear up confusion caused by omissions, address new issues ... or ask to remove things you disagree with.

Gentlemen ... start your typewriters!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Oh boy, they're gonna get a pile from me regarding Article 708!

Also, isn't it about time we change this from the "2008 NEC Forum" to the "2011 NEC Forum"? After all, we already have an NEC forum smile

H
I think that NJ is just getting around to adopting the 2008 NEC. We can go to the DCA website and make our feelings known about the new code and if enough contractors make a big stink, the state may change the NEC.

Harold:
Last I heard, no '08 adoption this year! Not 'official' but verbal comment.

John
H
John,

I posted a message here but the PC locked up and it didn't go through. I posted here that the DCA is now getting ready to adopted the 2008 NEC. It is on their website. I posted all of the info under a new topic for NJ contractors.

S
Proposals need not be 'earth shaking' changes. They may address little things. They may simply correct bad grammar, clear up confusion caused by omissions, address new issues ... or ask to remove things you disagree with.

isn't this just the illusion of choice?

~S~

Cat Servant
Sparky, alas, at this point you have no choice. The period to submit proposals will close, and we need to wait until Summer to comment on proposals already made.

Illusion of choice? When voting for a politician, I don't demand that my guy win ... but I do insist that I have my vote. In a like manner, I see little point in being critical of the code, while not at least making your opinion known in the circles where it can have some effect.

You have at least two basic places where your opinion matters. One is by making a proposal. The other is at the local level, where you can affect the adoption and enforcement of codes.

I'll give one example, from the last cycle, to illustrate that the NEC is not always a 'done deal:'
A proposal was made for the NEC to allow illuminated closet rods. The committee said "no." Comments were made ... the committee reversed itself ... and the 2008 now recognises the use of this new product.

Administrator
Originally Posted by renosteinke
..the NEC is not always a 'done deal:'

I'll second that, I believe my input helped change an aspect of the style the code is written in regarding exceptions and what they refer to.

Bill

S
well fella's, while i'll give those of you who do participate due respect for cleaning up the clerical mistakes or opining as to the ground going up or down it's rather apparent where the nec buck stops

~S~

Link Copied to Clipboard