ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Originally Posted by n1ist
I have had FIOS salesguys come by twice. They have gone as far as telling me that the copper plant is deteriorating and will not be maintained, and that come 2/2009 my phones will stop working unless I convert to digital :-) According to them, it is better for each customer to have the battery backup (not maintained) in the ONT than for them to maintain one at the CO... They are always shocked when I tell them that I want to keep my copper pair and get mad when I kick them out.
Really? My neighborhood copper network stopped working like 5 years ago, but Verizon still hasn't replaced it. At one point, we realized we hadn't gotten any telemarketing calls in a while (normally got 1-2 a day even with the no-call list), and came to find out that our phone had been down for a week and we hadn't even noticed. And it was NICE! Screw paying $30/month so telemarketers can bother us, we're a cell-phone only family, now. And they do work when the power is out, because cell towers use GENERATORS! Though, come to think of it, the fuel tanks aren't all that large for those, either...

I can get internet through my cell phone, and make VOIP phone calls (or VTCs) through my computer. Nice to have backups smile

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
How is the public service commission of the state letting the requlated public utility not provide the required service? I don't think that would be permitted under the rules in Illinois. The requlated public utility is required to provide service within in their service area.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Oh, it's still there, it's just not reliable. Which is to say, the phones stop working every time it rains.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard