ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#181051 09/20/08 05:11 PM
G
No matter the cost or brand, what's the absolute best pair of linesmans out there? Ideal has got a "premium" pair selling for around $185, it sure is shiny but does it cut any better than anything else? The Klein Journeyman's have nice grips, and so do the Ideal LaserEdges.

If cost wasn't an issue and you were going to pick up one pair to last you a long time, what linesmans would you carry with you?

GilbeSpark,
Welcome along.
I've used a pair of Klein 12098 linemans pliers for about the last 15 or so years and they are still in pretty good nick, considering the amount of use they've had.

Trumpy #181055 09/20/08 07:57 PM
W
I don't use linemans much but I have a Snap On one thats much better than anything I've seen in a supply house. Haven't seen those 185 dollar jobs yet

walrus #181056 09/20/08 08:17 PM
G
Here's a link to the Ideal "Premiums": http://idealindustries.com/products/tools_totes/pliers/premium_side-cutting_pliers.jsp

I never thought about Snap On, I'll look if I can find them online to see them.

Last edited by GilbeSpark; 09/20/08 08:19 PM.
IMO,
Pliers are like any tool, if they are looked after and only used to work on copper wires (which means not trying to cut steel wires with them) and you don't cut live cables with them, they should in theory, last a very long time, provided you don't abuse them, by using them as a hammer.

My Klein's cost me NZ$65 when I bought them, I've been very happy with the way they have performed.
Spending a lot of money on a pair of pliers can be a dangerous move, you need to keep a good eye on your purchase.

Trumpy #181059 09/20/08 10:48 PM
W
Two schools of thought here. 1 buy the absolute best out there and guard them like a pit bull. 2 Buy a good middle of the road pair and use em like you want, replace them when they get too beat up. I had much rather loose a $25.00 pair than a $135.00 pair.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
GilbeSpark,
If you are an apprentice, you are better off getting a good range of tools rather than focus on a few good ones at the moment, IMO, you should look at getting a selection of screw-drivers, a set of spanners, (don't buy adjustable spanners, they will only skin your knuckles), a decent pair of long-nosed pliers (I use Channel-lock) and a good pair of Side-cutters (I use Klein angled type).

Extremely cheap tools are just that, they'll last you 5 minutes once you put any stress on them, they are cast from a die, not machined, like tools should be.

S
Originally Posted by GilbeSpark
Ideal has got a "premium" pair selling for around $185,...
A $185 hammer? I wonder if they are reaching out to the military market. smile

I use the Kline 2000 series pliers and they have taken good care of me. I tend to stay away from the higher priced hand tools since I tend to lose more them my fare share. The cheap one are only good for one or two shots. Good if use in a highly coorosive environment. The 2000 are capable of cutting nails, screws, and jack chain. I even cut wire with them once in a while. The are just a couple of bucks more and they are durable. I think I paid around $45 for them.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
I have the low end Klein's with the blue grips. Works just fine. I think they were about 30 bucks.
I remember years ago when I could order tools through my company at a discount and got the Klein yellow handle type with the crimp. They were supposed to be good for tie wire (steel) and copper. Iron workers use Kleins too. For tying rebar. They just strip off the grips, heat and bend over one of the handles near the end, so they can pull up on the tie wire while twisting. I had them fix mine that way when I was working slab jobs.

The thing I wonder about is the break in period. Like when they are new and hard to open. WD 40 is no help.
Any tricks to loosen them up? I know working with them is the answer, but it takes some time.

JValdes #181072 09/21/08 06:16 PM
W
An old timer once showed me to put em into fine silica sand. the masons use it sometimes, sometimes its in grout. then wd- 40 the heck out of it. you need to work the sand into them, for a few minutes, then the wd-40 cleans the sand out, and it removes the oil they pack em in and wears the machining slightly, they stay sharp, but operate easier.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard