ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
It depends on how many people peed in it. wink

If I get some spare time I will set up my conductivity experiment again. It was a white bucket with two one foot #10 probes in contact with water and 8" apart in series with a 60w light bulb.

I did this a while ago and was surprised at how little salt it took to get the bulb to glow. I now have the ability to test for total dissolved salts content. I can't find my results but I did plot current and voltage drop for various solutions.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I have inspected many pools over the last 10 years as an AHJ and I have never seen stray voltage a problem with pools that have rebar in the gunite or pools with metal sides. The only time I have seen stray voltage problems is with the fiberglass pools. There have been at least 2-5 times I have heard about these problems. The one pool had 15-30 votlts between the handrail into the pool and the concrete deck. Another pool had over 50 volts from the deck to the wet niche light.

L
Harold (or others), What is the best way to check for these stray voltages?
I have done the meter trick with a probe in the water etc.
My inground liner pool (20+- yrs) has checked out fine to me.
Just looking for perhaps a more true measuring meens.
I think in the spring I will do the pool water bond thing to it.

G
Although it is not the best way to test it, actually getting a tingle while you are in the pool is usually what prompts the call.
If I was going to "probe" the water I would clip my lead to a foot or so of aluminum foil and drop that in the pool, then measure to anything you can touch. I would still be skeptical of any reading I got with a digital meter without a couple hundred k shunt.
You may already have some bonding going on if you have a regular pump (not double insulated). If you have a heater there is plenty of bonding going on.
Probably the most effective bonding would be a bonded metal ladder in the water.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard