ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Steve:
The 6-switch is/has been used to avoid installing and paying for a 'main'. It's always a dollar decission, and sometimes it catches up with the penny wise owners. Now, I'm talking comm/ind not resi.

6 switches, 6 meters, and gee...here comes a sub-divided space, and where is the meter going? Or how about a office bldg with....seven (7) meters, at least seven switches? OK, now they need a main! That's one unhappy owner. How dis they get #7?? No clue, no paper trail, but it is a POCO meter.

It comes back to haunt in the 'large' whse bldgs that are being sub-divided also.

Better is the small strip center, 6 meters, 6-200 amp mains in a meter stack, and here comes a tenant that needs 400 amps. Design bo-bo, or cost factor??

Last edited by HotLine1; 09/23/08 06:07 PM. Reason: deleted dupl

John
W
Not sure why one would want a split buss. I've never seen one. Whats the advantages?

walrus #181136 09/23/08 07:57 PM
E
Walrus, it was all about the price. With only 2P60 amp mains for the sub-section(s), these panels were cheap. Many of them were sold "naked", meaning that the sub-section main breakers were field-provided and installed. A molded-case 200 amp breaker easily added a hundred bucks to the cost of the panel. In new home construction, these were mighty popular.

They were also very popular in total-electric homes. I'm not so sure as to why, but I guess that the pole spaces in the main section allowed for higher-amperage breakers than most of today's main breaker panels. It isn't uncommon to have up to 100 amp breakers for electric furnaces. My main breaker panel has an 80 amp breaker for the furnace and it just doesn't "look" right for some reason.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
F
Thanks guys for more info and that what I been wonding but I did have a hunch but I was not sure due the set up like that.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard