ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have seen thermostat cable used to feed remote emergency lights from remote capable emergency lighting units.
Although the batteries only provide 6 volts, it seems that having t-stat cable in the same enclosure as 120 volts would be a violation, unless the t-stat cable is rated for 120 volts per 300.3(C)(1).
I haven't been able to determine the voltage rating of the t-stat cable(no marking).

Opinions, please?

F
IMO.,,

You allready ran into few serious issue with this.,,

The thermosat cable are typically 18 or 20 gauge wire size and most emergecy lights { AKA bug eyes or frog eyes } are very senstive with voltage drop.

second matter is majotry of thermostat wire are Class two current limit type.

not too often I will see the thermostat wire insulating material will be the same as building wire rating normally they are 300 v or less unless written something else on the cable or conductor.

And the local code may have additonal infomation realted to this and please check with them for latest info.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Redsy:
Usual remote wiring methods are 'Chapter 3 methods', as the rest of the job, with the same cable/conduit. VD is a definite issue. The instructions that come with the item should specify/suggest/reccomend the ga of conductor required, based on the circuit length.

I see you said 'capable' in your OP. A few guys try to tap off of the LED exit units! 90 min test? Forget it.

Also, 700.16, second paragraph ('05 NEC) is enforced.

Years back, two country clubs were big into remote em ltg, and 'did not want the battery box visable to the members. Some runs to the heads were 150'; (# 6 & #8)

John
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, Guys.

I'm talking specifically about an exterior remote head driven by a remote capable combo unit on the wall immediatley inside. Voltage drop would not be an issue at 3-4 ft.

I saw 150-volt t-stat wire in Graingers.

If the t-stat wire is rated for the higher voltage in the combo unit, I don't know if I can find a code-related issue.
A possible issue may be a non-metallic wiring method above a drop ceiling in a commercial bldg., but it is Romex that is specifically prohibited in that case.

Note:
I am not advocating this practice. I have debated it with another contractor, and am asking for opinions.

Redsy:
For debate reasons, I throw into this thread...Article 720 (2005 NEC):
720.1 Under 50 v, AC/DC
720.2 N/A, as it is egress lighting, not any referenced.
720.3 N/A
720.4 Conductor size minimum (#12)

Based on this, IMHO, you need #12 t'stat wire, rated 150 volts or higher from your OP.
Based on that...why bother?

(IF 720 is referenced by the local AHJ!)

Sunday morning thoughts...

John
R
Redsy Offline OP
John,

Thank you much!

Link Copied to Clipboard