ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180781 09/09/08 09:57 PM
L
I have a concrete plant with 120volt e-stops on it, installed on hoffman metal boxes osha came out and asked if they where less than 50 volts to the e-stops do the e-stops have to be less then 50 volts. This plant was installed in the early 90's and inspected I never heard of this before.

Cat Servant
It would not be out of line for you to ask for a specific code reference.

M
OSHA always provides a specific list of violations. They don't just ask about whether something is under 50 volts. They either cite a violation or not. If they didn't, it's fine. If they did, you'll get a notice in the mail within a couple of weeks with everything spelled out.

To answer your question, OSHA considers anything under 50V to be non-hazardous. So if there are exposed energized parts or fuses that need to be changed hot or even light bulbs that need to be changed hot, or something that's not grounded, it's okay under 50 volts but not okay at 50V or more. That's the only 50V distinction I know of.

J
Get a code reference, as to why it is a violation. 120 volt controls are not a violation. Is it possible the E-Stops are in a classified location. I am certain that dust is an issue in concrete plants. Very well could be considered a classified location. But even in a classified location the enclosure would be the protecting means not the voltage.

R
A classified location involves flammable dusts, and concrete dust would not result in a classified location.

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
I think ... and this is just a wild guess .... that the inspector was responding to the WET nature of parts of a cement plant, and the need for GFI protection in such areas.

He certainly failed to explain himself ... and you have every reason to ask for such an explanation from him.

Link Copied to Clipboard