ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18072 12/05/02 10:09 PM
C
This comment on Mike Holt's forum got my attention:

Posted Dec 5, 8:31 PM
http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004735.html

[Linked Image]

Arrogance second only to ECN???

If recent events here say anything, the people here are anything but arrogant. When someone makes a comment like that, I have to speak up.

I find this forum to be much friendlier than MH, where flame wars are a regular occurence.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 12-05-2002).]

Peter
#18073 12/05/02 11:12 PM
I thought about posting a reply to that comment, but then again, what would it accomplish. I flamed MarkW on this forum once, and I still feel bad about it. Other than that I haven't really seen any flaming going on here, and I like it that way. The fact is, I come here to have fun, and socialize with people I would otherwise never have a chance to meet. Flaming is just so negative, and usually is a result of pride. The old "I'm smarter than you syndrome" must be alive and well over there. I've posted there a few times, but never felt "at home", so I've limited my time there. The fact is, arrogance is every where, but making "that" accusation against this forum really shows "igorance" of what the people of this forum are all about. As they say "igorance is bliss", and if that person wants to live in his igorance, and is happy about missing out on the benefits of being a part of this forum, then he is better off by not posting here. The "shoe on the other foot", we are better off without him, or the rest of the "lot" over there.
If memory serves me, Bill "tossed" a few people for causing trouble here.
I would further add, to the credit of all the members here, that "bridling of the keys" is a phrase that would describe the atmosphere here. Case in point, the female who was "advertising" her product here on the forum, could have caused a major flame war, but members pointed out that she should promote her product else where. Problem solved. If arrogance was a problem here, I think "the record" would show it (by record I mean the archives).
It wouldn't suprise me to see someone from the MH forum respond to this post, and perhaps flame me, but I'm stating in advance, I'm not going to argue with anyone who is not a regular participant of this forum about this issue.

Bridle in hand, bit in mouth,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#18074 12/05/02 11:24 PM
C
Well said Doc!

What set me off was that the comment was made in complete ignorance of the outpouring of generosity for Virgil, among many other great things that happen here.

I agree, I don't feel "at home" at MH the way I do here.

I think the professional attitude and ability of folks here to avoid conflict in an intelligent manner is what makes ECN great!

Peter
#18075 12/06/02 12:04 AM
I've spent very little time at the other BBs. Like you said, this is home.

Besides, I consider being called arrogant a compliment! Heck, I'm conceited too! Well, sometimes I am.

Seriously, I wonder how such a perspective came about?
Besides, half the posters on that thread were active ECN members!

Odd!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#18076 12/06/02 12:50 AM
Whole-heartedly agree with your first line
Sparky66wv, why need you look elsewhere?.
It's all here, minus the snide remarks!.
[Linked Image]

#18077 12/06/02 01:15 AM
W
I still visit the site now and then, I like this one much better!! [Linked Image] You just can't beat the ECN. I am here for information and fun, and offer my 2 cents when I think it might be of need to someone else. Not enough time in the day to waste time flaming back and forth.

wirewiz

#18078 12/06/02 03:02 AM
E
Seems like a mis-statement. Maybe he meant to say "expertise" or maybe "advise"?

#18079 12/06/02 06:59 AM
S
I've posted 3500 times here in the last 2 yrs, learned quite a lot (thank you all) and have been corrected ad nasuem ( humble pie al a mode diet)
It's great to be in a group of my proffessional counterparts wheer i can do this, hands down.

on the other claw....

i'm an EC. now think about this for a second....everything you say, do, wear, drive, etc. is part of that persona, and subject to scrutinization by those whom would question your intergrity i.e.~ clients,peers,AHJ's, and a hords of domineering trade associations.

live hand to mouth with your back up against that wall.

would that maybe make one arrogant? maybe , maybe not.....personally i perfer the term 'acerbic'

#18080 12/06/02 06:59 AM
We should not worry about that comment made by someone who was not very clear!

I am responsible for many changes on another board that I moderate, and here where I moderate the Electrical Code Violations area.

I have the responsibility of maintaining the sites, and have removed many comments, some of which were not related to the subject and off color.

I think we would all agree that our time is valuable, and should not be wasted.

In the past, there were a few members who really used to enjoy "flaming" and thanks to our leader are no longer allowed to sit at our table.

I do however, appreciate seeing the names and backgrounds of many of the members here when reading the messages on Mike's board because that board requires that information and does not allow blind, or empty spaces in the profiles.

Look here for flames:

[Linked Image from mylocal3.com]
http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004735.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-06-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#18081 12/06/02 12:06 PM
M
Arrogance at ECN...I think not!!

I've been a member of this forum for about 1-1/2 years now, and I value every second of it. I have made no pretentions about being an electrician - when compared to the other good members of this forum, the knowledge I have of the electrical world would fit on the head of a pin...with much room to spare [Linked Image]. Nonetheless, you have accepted me as a member of the group and have provided a place where I can enrich myself daily.

The matters of recent days are testament to the graciousness and helpful spirit of ECN to all. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard