ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
A horse has been electrocuted by a damaged electricity cable whilst being ridden by its owner on a pavement* in West Yorkshire.

Tina Brown was riding 11-year-old Merlin on Station Lane in East Ardsley when he fell to the ground.

Full story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7599110.stm

*U.K. pavement = U.S. sidewalk

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
E
That's incredible Paul. What a horrible way to die. I'm still curious how the "pavement" could have been energized and if so, wouldn't the horse and the rider have been at the same potential? Something doesn't sound right here.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Originally Posted by EV607797
I'm still curious how the "pavement" could have been energized and if so, wouldn't the horse and the rider have been at the same potential? Something doesn't sound right here.

Ed,
By the sounds of it, there was a damaged power cable below the ground surface, what can happen when cables get damaged is a voltage gradient "pool" is set up on the ground above and this radiates outwards from the centre of the faulted part of the cable.

Now, if 1 of a horses 4 legs are touching one part of the "pool" and another leg is touching another part of the "pool", a potential difference then exists between these two legs.

Unfortunately, this cable had not sufficiently faulted to blow any protective equipment.

The reason the rider was not electrocuted as well, is because the rider was "insulated" from the horse by clothing and the saddle.

{I hope this explanation makes sense}

P
pauluk Offline OP
It does sound like a damaged cable, although unfortunately we often seem to read the initial report in the media on something like this but never get to hear the results of the investigation.

This reminded me of all those energized-manhole stories from Con-Ed in New York City over the last couple of years.

Link Copied to Clipboard