ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
We've all seen these scenarios. Sometimes we've been guilty of them ourselves (we who should know better [Linked Image] ).

Your sockets are behind large pieces of furniture like bureaus or beds or closets.
Or the cord on the appliance you wish to install - like a radio or a fax machine on top of the desk is too short to reach the socket on the floor or the wall.

A lot of people take the ever popular extension cord (usually the 16-gauge SPT-type zip cord) and use it to hook up such devices.

Now, I'm not bringing up obvious non-listed uses such as stapling the cord to the wall in a "permanent" fashion - but simply just letting it lie on the floor as if it were a simple elongation of the appliance's cord.

Now...the idea is that the appliance won't ever move from where you put it - the radio/TV or the fan or the desk palmp stays where it is, permanently plugged into this extension cord which is in turn permanently plugged into the outlet with the cord running loosely on the floor out of the way. I would say the same thing for the window air conditioner that is 12 feet away from the nearest outlet and you have to use an "appliance extension cord" running along the side of the room to use it (once again, not stapled).

Is this a safe "listed" use? Would it be considered temporary or permanent?

Or is the definition of "temporary" only applicable to a portable piece of equipment you only use for a little bit (like a drill or a small fan) and then unplug and put away into storage?

I'm curious.

J
Technically, the 90-day rule applies. This is the reason that UL will not list outlet strips that are, in their opinion, too easy to permanently mount.
If it wasn't for wiremold, there wouldn't be an easy solution.

B
This is a related question. Has anyone noticed that terminology has changed a bit?

Some (all?) devices that were at one time marked "Temporary Power Tap" are now labeled "Relocatable Power Tap."

G
The NEC stops at the recept.

I believe that temp as used in the NEC is the use of none UL approved materials in electric circuits. One example might be to make up an extension cord using MN cable to make an extension cord from the temp pole to the breaker box.

IMHO:
Does not the term "extension cord" mean that it's to beused as an extension for an appliance, lamp, or other item?? They are not called "temporary wiring" are they?

To use an extension cord as Sven describes is the intent of usage for this item. Yes, people abuse extension cords; undersized (cheaper ones are OK mentality); and as substitutes for permanent wiring.

If it's used in a proper manner, as Sven describes, whats the problem??

John

John
S
all this 'extention cord' stuff we in the trade are privy to makes me wonder why they just don't make better ones...

or is that a 'wag the dog' comment?

Broom Pusher and
Reminds me of a few Active Bank Branch Remodels, with the AHJs' of City / County of Los Angeles.

Inspectors walking the job for Final Electrical Inspection did not like the useage of the typical Plug-Strips w/ TVSS Protection at the Teller Stations, mostly where the strips had been mounted to the Teller Line via the captive screw mounting slots on the back.

IBM sets up the Equipment all plugged into one strip, then mounts each strip via screws. They also tie wrap everything to minimize sloppy cables.
Makes for a clean install when they are finished.

Per each Teller Station, I design / Install a 4 plex IG receptacle with another Duplex IG receptacle 6" to the right. There is also a 4 plex Convenience receptacle. All outlets fit into a pre-cut "templated" layout.

IBM prefers to use the TVSS protected strips at each point of connection, so all the peripherals + cpu run through one strip.

Long story short [ya, right! [Linked Image]], some Inspectors in LA would not sign off final with the plug strips being used as described above.
Talk about fun, try shuffling Tellers around on a 12 Station Teller Line - 8 Active Tellers - while I brought down each Machine, connected the cords directly to Receptacles, then bring Machine back up!

Many unhappy people!!!

BTW, these Teller Stations [Computers] run OS/2 warp 4x with EXTREME security / firewall protection, virus protection and LAN / WAN connection / verification. 5 Minutes is a "Fast" time for a Cold Boot!

After learning this sweet lesson, prior to Inspection I place all cords into Receptacles and leave the TVSS plug strip plugged in - to attempt in catching locally produced TVSS's.
No one ever changes anything, nor have their been TVSS related problems.
p.s. Each Subpanel designed to drive T/S, W/S and Servers have TVSS protection at the Subpanel.

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35:
Man, that sounds like a first class install.
Last one we did:
two circuit IG plugmold; 6" oc; 6' length
twelve receptacles total at each location.
Quad GP receptacle in lower kick area.
Wouldn't ya know.....the computer installer comes in with the power strips and plugs into the GP quad & daisy chains the strips.
AHJ shows for final, sees the strip chains and has a fit! Told him "by others"; waste of breath. Had to get computer guy back, straighten him out, and reschedule inspection.

BTW, We do the TVSS at the panels also.

John

John
I
I only have those bright colored extension cords, myself. No temptation to leave them connected, since I know my wife won't put up with it... [Linked Image]

I had an extension cord short out under my bed one night when I was a kid (no load at the time). I've been really adverse to extension cords ever since.

Link Copied to Clipboard