ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180482 08/27/08 03:25 PM
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Can I come thru a wall into the back of a NEMA 3R enclosure mounted on the wall and maintain the 3R rating?

Thanks

Bill
W
If you use a myers hub.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Cat Servant
To answer that, you need to understand how the enclosures are tested.

For the NEMA-3R test, a driving rain is sent onto the enclosure at about a 15 degree angle. At the end of the test, there cannot be a 'significant' amount of water in the enclosure.

In addition, there is a rule that factory KO 'pre-punches' cannot be located higher than the lowest energized part.

Some understand the latter rule to mean that ANY opening made above the lowest energized part has use a Myers' hub. I'm not convinced of that logic for vertical faces, though I agree when the opening is on the top face. (After all, snow and water can accumulate on the top).

For openings on protected faces - like the back - I have a bit of trouble imagining how any significant amount of water can ever reach the opening - let alone enter it.

Remember ... NEMA-3R is essentially a glorified umbrella; it's not intended to protect a directed water source, such as a hose stream.

S
I agree with Reno. The hole on top of some 3R's enclosures has that up rolled lip to prevent wat to get into the enclosure.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Don't we go in the back of meter cans all the time? I don't remember any special fitting.

Greg Fretwell
S
The special fittings were for "field expediant" holes not factory KO's

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
You can use a nipple or conduit in the back bottom factory KO and maintain the rating. If its a concentric KO, and you have any rings left you must bond with a bonding bushing. Not required with PVC of course.

If its a concentric KO, and you have any rings left you must bond with a bonding bushing

JV, Unless it's service equipment (or you really blow out the concentric KO's), they're not required on systems for under 250 volts to ground.

Link Copied to Clipboard