ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 520 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Am I reading this right?...

You've got paired three-ways...
Line and load run to and from the first j-box...

Then you're linking to the other three-way with [ 1-hot leg and 2 switch legs..]

Shouldn't that be you're going out with 2-travelers and returning 1-switch leg... which then heads off down and away to the load side?

Just how is your circuit made up?

Tesla
S
It works either way

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
T
twh Offline
I'll tell you these things are HOT!
I saw the same problem with lamp failure and mine were really hot too. If heat will kill a CFL, they might be self-destructing.

Now I'm wondering how much power they actually draw, if they produce as much heat as a light bulb.

S
staylor Offline OP
Yes, they're hot. I haven't actually measured the total draw of the bulb, but it wouldn't be much more than the 26W bulb plus a few watts for the ballast.

Not sure about the design of the reflector. They are specifically listed for use with these CFL's along with many other incandescent of higher wattage. They are the most reflective "premium" trims you can buy with a clear specular finished aluminum. What throws me about the heat issue is why only this circuit? I have three other circuits with the same fixture and bulb combo, almost exact install conditions, but none have burned out in those locations (yet). I think about half of the bulbs on this particular run have failed (9 of 18).

I'm going to remove all of the factory plug connectors and replace with standard connectors so I can be sure it's not that. I guess time will tell.

G
I think the design problem might be with the bulb itself. I am not sure how they expect to get the ballast heat out of the can

Greg Fretwell
S
staylor Offline OP
Well, I had somewhat of a breakthrough, even though it doesn't help the situation.

I had another lamp burn out, but this time it was on a completely different circuit! That tells me that it's not specific to the one circuit. I'm starting to lean towards the heat issue. It's baffling to me that I haven't heard of this problem before. I know I can't be the only one that has these CFL cans installed. These things are installed everywhere.

My particular can is a vertical lamp position as opposed to a horizontal position. Perhaps the heat dissipation is worse in this configuration? I don't know, but surely the manufacturers are not oblivious to the various applications are used in.

I found some sylvania CFL's with the exact specs as the GE model in regard to lumen output, color, etc. I may try these to see if I have different results.

Thanks for all the comments.

G
Have you tried contacting the technical department of the manufacturer? I would start it as a warranty problem.

Greg Fretwell
L
Since it appears to be limited at this time a specific string of lights, is it possible that the subpanel this circuit is fed from has a swapped neutral and ground? Most fluoresents I am aware of use the capacitance between the reflector and the lamp to assist the lamp start.

Obviously I am grasping at straws, but when the obvious things are ruled out, then it is time for the straws.

Larry C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard