ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180370 08/23/08 03:45 PM
S
I wish they would make the 4/0 plastic weatherhead a little wider. It is terrible to try and bend a piece of 4/0 alum. into a weatherhead. Anyone else have this problem? The brand I've been using is M&W. I've tried to pull it up on the web and can't find it. Anyone what the name of the company that makes it? I know it probably won't do any good, but I want to give them my input. Some of these
manufacturers needs some "hands on" experience with their
products, and they would be willing to make some changes in them. Another product I've practically always had a problem with is the metal weatherproof single and double gang boxes. Almost always the ground screw will strip out. If I had time, I'd call each one of the manufacturers, and present my complaint. Seems like poor quality materials, make up the greatest portion of my problems. Sorry for the rage...Had to vent... Thanks for listening... Steve smile

W
I started using a crimp block fork for grounding bell boxes. Trying to put a bare wire under the screw results in a stripped hole nearly every time

S
Have you tried eating Wheaties for breakfest? smile
Are you talking about those "flathead" residential weather heads? I use one of the bubble shape ones.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I have got in the habit of taking out the screw in the bell box and using a slightly longer swage form screw before it gets a chance to strip.

Greg Fretwell
E
I agree about the ground screw stripping out in Bell Boxes. It's been that way for years, but even worse now that they aren't made in the USA. I also thread the screw all the way in first, then back it out just barely enough to let the wire fit under it. That sometimes helps.

I can't say much about the weather heads since 90% of the services we see are underground. Even on overhead services, the power company does the entire upper half of the service, including the cable and weather head. I can't remember the last time that I bought a weather head, except for the ones used on conduit.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I agree on the bell boxes. The grounding screw is a joke. A spade or ring terminal crimped onto a wire is definately the way to go.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
S
Steve, here is a link for M&W.

http://www.mwelectricmfg.com/

steve

Steve
J
If you run across any of those Chinese made bell box covers STAY AWAY. It takes more time to get the cover on than it takes to mount the box and connect the devices.

S
Stamcon, thanks for the website. I sent them my complaint. I'm sure they can't do anything about it without making another "mold", but at least I put my 2 cents worth in.

sparkyinak: I had enough wheaties one time to break one trying to get it on. Of course it was in cold weather:)

The power company use to run them in my area too, but somehow one of the "big guys" must have talked them out of it. I think I'll try to pursue it again with them one day. Things just seem to keep getting more complicated all the time, but that's what keeps us pressing on, right? Without resistance, a plane couldn't get off the ground:)

Thanks, Steve...

S
My favorite weather head packing job was a three run parallel service of four copper 500kc mils in a 3" Weather heads. The wet falling snow, and the 25 degree weather didn't help any.

It is getting cheaper at someone elses expense.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard