ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
I've Installed a transformer that on the secondary has nearly 36' of wire parallel feeding a 120v/208v panel. The engineer over seeing the job has quoted the reference in the code on a particular 10' rule. The problem I have with this rule is there are additional rules dictating that 25' is acceptable ,how does one go about determining whether the 10' or 25' apply. Either way I believe I'm going to be required to put a disconnect at the transformer.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Ever wonder why the tap rules are all referred to according to the length of the tap? Did you also notice that the distances, and other conditions, are more limited the longer the tap?

If you can't reach it with a ten foot tap, you can't use the ten foot rule.

The tap rules are in Article 240.21, and include the 25' tap rule, among others.

J
JBD Offline
[quote=Angel...how does one go about determining whether the 10' or 25' apply.[/quote]

The simple differences are:
10' tap rule conductors can be any size.
25' tap rule requires the conductors to be a minimum of 1/3 the transformer capacity

G
Is this an inside or outdoor tap? Looks like we are limited to a max of 25' for all secondary conductors unless it is an outdoor installation.

240.21(C)(1) through (C)(6)

George Little
G
More on Transformer Secondary taps:

Just read the original post and the issue is what is the length of the tap.

The tap measurement is to my understanding the length of wire, not the raceway.

For a 10' tap to a 100a. "device" requires 100a conductors, even though the load may only be 75a and it is fused at 80a. If it's a CB than the tap can sized at 80a.

240.21(C)(2)(1)b.
See definition of Device in Article 100

George Little
A
The problem originated when we had to place a transformer into the nearest gap nearly 28' from where it was shown on the print . The engineering shown placed the transformer suspended into the air ,supported from the building steal. When we went to place this 112kva trans into the air the GC. proclaimed that the structural engineer will not allow us to suspend the trans from the steal because its to heavy. Now the electrical engineer has said we don't comply with the 10' tap rule. I feel
that even though the length of the secondary taps are 26' that we may comply with the 25' tap rule. Basically I have to size the wires according to the percentage ampacity given for the conductors for the 25' rule verses the 10' rule.
Next realization being is that we sized the wires according to the line diagram the electrical engineer specified, and he is probably aware that the wires may only comply with the ampacity of the 10' rule. Solutions ? Move transformer back to where it is shown on print? Build a shelf? Comments appreciated

Originally Posted by Angel_Electric
I feel that even though the length of the secondary taps are 26' that we may comply with the 25' tap rule. Basically I have to size the wires according to the percentage ampacity given for the conductors for the 25' rule verses the 10' rule.

Sure....26' is not 25' or less.

Solution = Let the GC worry about it, and between the EE and the Structural Engineer not doing their jobs properly, let them come up with a fix.

Don't try to "save the day" yourself, you'll be rewarded with only headaches.

Cat Servant
This situation is what change orders were created for!

The solution is simple: You need to add over-current protection at some point that will let you meet the 25 ft rule. Or, even, the 10 ft rule. A disconnect with fuses would accomplish this.

S
Or just larger cabling- if the cable meets the full ampacity of the main OCP, it's not a bus tap, it's merely an extension of the bus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard