ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Thanks for all the replies. I have put in low voltage lights
also, and normally that would be my choice, but these trees she wants lighted ( at least one ) is around 200 ft. tall. I know I want be able to light it all, but she wants lights at the bottom and then lights up in the tree then lights on one of it's limbs to shine on another tree. The first branch is around 25 to 30 ft. up. Low voltage lighting that high to me is going to produce problems in the future
(bulb changing, connections etc. ) I mentioned the difference from the HPS and MH to her. She has several large trees in her front yard. I told her to take a
"online" look at "The White House" at night, and that will give her some idea of what HPS will look like. The MH spots on some of the trees may be too blinding in my opinion on this job, because especially one will be pointed in the direction of cars coming into her driveway. But anyway, I'm just giving her the options. If it were normal trees and shrubbery, yes I would go with low voltage, but this is more like a "White House" project and, yes she is wanting the usual,"as cheap as possible". I've sent her a 2 page letter explaining the options she has and explaining the pro's and con's. Thanks for the input..
PS. I don't know about low voltage reaching 50ft. up or not. Is that using over a 50wt. halogen bulb? And if so where do you find a low voltage light that accepts over a 50wt. halogen. I've looked on the web, and couldn't find one. Thanks again... Steve

Steve:
A lot of the lighting effects you can create also has to do with the beam spread of the lamp you choose. I have done landscape tree lighting at a few country clubs over the years, and although most were MH, in varying wattage and fixture & lamp types a limited number were low voltage.

You can find a wide array of lv bulbs and fixtures, as well as a very wide array of MH fixtures and lamps, but expect to spend quite a bit for the 'exotic' items.

The RUUD and/or Rab are good choices for resi, unless the budget can handle the professional fixtures.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard