ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180094 08/13/08 12:35 AM
B
I've been on my own for nearly 8 years now. I have no employees and have only hired help here/there.

I'm a little nervous about hiring an employee or two. What ducks need to be lined up to make this jump? What capital is reasonable?

Any dialogue with people that have done this and succeeded is appreciated.

Thanks,
Byron

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
The first thing is to get the tax and worker comp insurance deal figured out. It is mostly just another layer of paperwork but if you don't get it right guys in cheap suits with government ID cards will be knocking on your door.

Greg Fretwell
H
Hey Byron
Call the CSLB office and they will send you lot of the infomation about hiring process. Yes Greg is right, Either get W-comp insurance or you can hire your employees through an Placement agency, but then you have to pay little bit more. But then you are not required to do any paperwork. If I was you I would try that first. Sometime is cheaper to go that route.

Cat Servant
A sad, but true, fact of life ... paperwork first!

I-9, Federal Employer Identification Number, Workman's Comp., Unemployment Insurance, State or City "head tax," .... all are things that are suddenly relevant to you - even if you only want to hire a couple of guys for a few days, to help dig a ditch!

The next step is to define what it is that you want. If nothing else, you might have an inspiration, and be able to find your help in unexpected places. Then, if you can, recruit the individual (rather than inviting the entire world to apply).

Having help is also a real leadership / management challenge. That person is depending on you, and it's your job to make sure they can work. You're not the 'boss' - you're now in a support role.

C
All good advice

Have you thought about a temp agency? Maybe do a temp to higher. If it doesn't work out you don't have to deal with other business crap. altough they might not be able to drive the truck.

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
E
Temp to higher? confused

Never mind, I figured out what you meant: Temp to HIRE. I am moving slowly here tonight.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
P
I've been open for 6 years now. Have been thru almost 20 guys. I do better with 2 than with 11. Less theft, horseplay, damage to trucks etc.

Aside from what's already been posted, I'd recommend a good employee manual with a non-compete/confidentially agreement. I bought on online for about $50.00 It was over 80 pages of things like jury duty, vacation pay, deaths in the family, and other things you'll never get around to thinkin about.
Need a tool list.
Late/tardy/sick policy.
Cell policy. (esp for lost/damaged phones)
\BTW I finally got GPS tracking phones (know where they're at and track for the last 30 days) and they keep their timesheets via the phone. No Monday, "uh boss where was i last week?" conversations.
Uniform/dress policy.
Get copies of driver's licenses, etc.
Do a quick backgroung check (molestors).

I could go on but will let someone else chime in.

E
ESP Offline
Just wondering what type of phones you are using for GPS Tracking and Data entry?

ESP #180221 08/18/08 08:05 PM
P
Nextel. Running a package called Xora xora.com

tracks them every 15min and can ping them anytime to find where they're at now. Tt saves the data for a month.
I know when the shift started, what job number they're on, when they clock out for lunch (and where they do it).
runs about $25-30/phone/month it's worth that in saved time sheet BS.

We download the timesheets every week and compare them to the locations they clock in at to make sure everythings good.

K
Look into a payroll company too. They take care of all the paperwork for you. They can help you put together applications, the steps to take, plus take care of your tax payments, workers comp, unemployment claims, etc. We pay roughly 17% of gross payroll which covers our workers comp, employer taxes, unemployment insurance, and any HR/legal questions we can throw at them.

The true cost is about 5% of payroll with the other 12% covering things you would pay anyways. Until that 5% equals the cost of a payroll person it can be a great way to keep everything in order. Some of the payroll companies can help you with benefits also.

Last edited by kinetic; 08/19/08 02:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard